Shrubby crab in summer

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I would like it white, splash of pink or something. At least more interesting colored berries...apples?:confused::confused::confused::D:D:D:D:D

Need some better photo's and let's be honest, this puppy needs some groomin'!!;):)

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve been wanting one of these.
Nice to see your progress on this one.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@LanceMac10 making mine even more embarrassing, thanks ;)

There's nodes along the trunk line on mine, but no viable buds...or branches now for some ways.
Is it possible to cut back in Spring to a node below a viable branch...and bud out from there as with JM?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@LanceMac10 making mine even more embarrassing, thanks ;)

There's nodes along the trunk line on mine, but no viable buds...or branches now for some ways.
Is it possible to cut back in Spring to a node below a viable branch...and bud out from there as with JM?

A lot easier to get it to back bud than it is to ramify, I can tell you that. Since I'm training for flower production, I don't work it in spring. Eventually, it will need a redesign. Growing slowly now as most resources are pushing flower buds. Really start to grow after spent flowers are removed. Most years I want fruiting as well so even more resources go to that. During this time there is not much extension growth. But it really takes off if you dead-head the flowers so it won't go to seed.

A good prune will certainly give you buds where the branch emanates from the trunk and perhaps where any growth was previously.

I'll have to see if you have a thread for your crabby, I can't recall offhand.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A lot easier to get it to back bud than it is to ramify, I can tell you that. Since I'm training for flower production, I don't work it in spring. Eventually, it will need a redesign. Growing slowly now as most resources are pushing flower buds. Really start to grow after spent flowers are removed. Most years I want fruiting as well so even more resources go to that. During this time there is not much extension growth. But it really takes off if you dead-head the flowers so it won't go to seed.

A good prune will certainly give you buds where the branch emanates from the trunk and perhaps where any growth was previously.

Thanks for the info Lance. I tagged you in that thread. I couldn't remember if I had a thread on it either 🤣

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Need to dig up a crab in my backyard. From my backyard of a house I’m selling. 😎

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eventually I'll stumble into one!!!

Photography wasn't something I thought I needed to know when I started working with trees...among 5-6 other things! :D :D :D

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very nice tree, kudos on you! 👍

And it looks very healthy : I have several in a hedge and each year, they get smthg like powdery mildew (white stuff on deformed leaves you know). How do you manage to keep fungal diseases at bay ?...

Top Bottom