Siberian cypress for bonsai

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am working on a five year old Siberian Cypress Microbiota decussata that is still in its 3gal nursery pot. I would like to know if anyone has ever used this plant for a bonsai.. I am going to trim the under dead branches that didn't get any summer light, I think that with the right amount of study and time it could become an amazing bonsai
any help or information would be apricated.
thanks,
Robert gardner

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How has your experience been with Russian cypress so far? I purchased one last year and it survived winter easily with no dieback, the pot just sitting on the ground. This was pretty crazy since in my zone 3-4 climate even lodgepole and Scots pine will have dieback unless their pots are heeled into the ground. Online, Russian cypress are commonly referenced to be zone 2-3.

I love the foliage since it is fine and similar to Hinoki while not experiencing dieback in my climate. Since these are a relatively obscure plant I haven't seen any specimens grown as bonsai yet, hopefully this begins to change!

I imagine that the techniques to train Hinoki and Sawara would be applicable to these, but I haven't tried pinching Russian cypress yet since I'm still in the phase of growing it out to thicken the trunk. They are a procumbent growing plant so if you want an upright form lots of wiring will be required.

I have also found that they are extremely easy to propagate through cuttings. My 3 cuttings took last year in June rooted in less than a months time.

brybrybry

Seed
Reaction score
I just got one today and cleaned it up. How’s this going for you?

Top Bottom