Siberian Elm Forest From Seed

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A little late starting this progression thread, better late than never I suppose. This is my Siberian Elm Forest it was started from a handful of seeds from the ditch about 7 years ago. The seeds were just randomly mixed in and left to grow, I like the natural arrangement that has become. They were started in this pot and 7 years later are now in need of transplanting this spring. I plan on planting it in the concrete pot I made last summer here’s the link to that thread. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/concrete-rock-pot-slab.35677/
I have been clip and growing up to this point no wire, but have started wiring it today for this coming season you can see some of the ugly black wire I have started to wire with “got a ton of it for super cheap” just wanted to get a pic of it before it’s totally covered in it and start a thread.
B6DA60AD-5217-4069-9907-EE78770887B3.jpeg
Here’s the pot/slab I made for it, I will update this thread this spring after it’s planted up.
956D5B8C-2013-4BC0-9EE4-F49063853287.jpeg

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Now that is just plain awesome..... the pot is amazing too ........

Please write your full address so I can go steal it.?
Glad someone out there likes it, I enjoy staring at it. You would have quite the journey to get here, if you can make it by foot I will give it too you. Deal???

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glad someone out there likes it, I enjoy staring at it. You would have quite the journey to get here, if you can make it by foot I will give it too you. Deal???
Ah ha....! You underestimate me puny mortal..... the joke is on you because all I need to do is cross through North Korea.....walk up through Russia.......wait till winter for the ocean to freeze over and then walk through Canada in the heart of winter and down through the North US until I get to Utah! I got it all planned.....see you in a year........

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah ha....! You underestimate me puny mortal..... the joke is on you because all I need to do is cross through North Korea.....walk up through Russia.......wait till winter for the ocean to freeze over and then walk through Canada in the heart of winter and down through the North US until I get to Utah! I got it all planned.....see you in a year........
Ha ha you’re awesome, I could actually see it play out in my head. Knock knock.....holy shit some bearded guy standing on my door step wanting my tree.......please have a beer then take the tree you’ve earned it, I’m not worthy! LOL!!!

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good looking forest you have there.
I bet it's going to look really good in a few months.
I'm liking that new pot too.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great natural look, well started! Your artistic talent with the concrete pot will just make it even better.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice man! I got a bunch of elms I pulled up as seedlings spring 2017 that I’ll be planting into a forest this spring. They’ve really beefed up in the last year. At first I thought they might be Siberian elms but now i’m not sure. The leaves aren’t hairless like Siberian elms should be (?). Hope mine turns out half as nice as yours here. The only thing I might change with yours would be that one tree way toward the front on the right hand side. Placing it somewhere else and letting that area be open space might be nice. Looking good though!

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice man! I got a bunch of elms I pulled up as seedlings spring 2017 that I’ll be planting into a forest this spring. They’ve really beefed up in the last year. At first I thought they might be Siberian elms but now i’m not sure. The leaves aren’t hairless like Siberian elms should be (?). Hope mine turns out half as nice as yours here. The only thing I might change with yours would be that one tree way toward the front on the right hand side. Placing it somewhere else and letting that area be open space might be nice. Looking good though!
Ahh yes, I see what you mean! Great idea thanks for the input, Done!! at least sometime this spring
@moke - again you make an awesome pot. Your pots could make a dead weed look good.
Thanks appreciate the compliment, I need to get busy making more. I know I promised you a step by step thread on making them. I haven’t forgotten. Perhaps I can get R done in the next couple weeks.
Really great forest and that is probably the best concrete pot I've seen.
Thanks, Can’t wait to put the two together. I’m sure the trees will be appreciative, 7 years in that little pot.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ha ha you’re awesome, I could actually see it play out in my head. Knock knock.....holy shit some bearded guy standing on my door step wanting my tree.......please have a beer then take the tree you’ve earned it, I’m not worthy! LOL!!!
Lol Im near the North Korean border now.......... now I need to avoid land mines and snipers......
Piece of cake

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here’s a quick and not so great picture of the forest I put into the Crete pot I made. I swear I’ll get a decent picture with my good camera soon as this picture did it no justice. I just wanted to share the progress thus far. Thought I should update this progression page for this group for this year.
859125CA-4610-4A55-809E-23E080A3A749.jpeg

C8C9B00C-A3D9-4B2B-9C26-FD0D36A98ADB.jpeg

3B6AD61C-325D-4AB6-8EAB-C29B33CFA792.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here’s a quick and not so great picture of the forest I put into the Crete pot I made. I swear I’ll get a decent picture with my good camera soon as this picture did it no justice. I just wanted to share the progress thus far. Thought I should update this progression page for this group for this year.
859125CA-4610-4A55-809E-23E080A3A749.jpeg

C8C9B00C-A3D9-4B2B-9C26-FD0D36A98ADB.jpeg

Beautiful

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Might Fine! That last detail photo of yours is world-class beautiful. Fabulous portrait of the surface and trunk bases. I really like the random tree placement results. Well done!

Top Bottom