Siberian Elm Stump Removal/Progress

Icefy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I plan to remove this Siberian elm stump on my parents property probably sometime this week. Any tips are appreciated, here’s some info and pics down below.
As you can see in the pics, the stump is located next to a well growing bush, about 6 inches apart (from the surface view at least), I planned to dig between them as deep as I could and cut right in the middle if I needed to, would that work?
It has some pretty big roots, would I just go out as far as possible and cut it, or just do like 1’- 2’ circle around the tree (except bush part)?
Either way it’s getting dug out, so I’ll try whatever, just want the best success. This thing is a tank and will not die, it was cut 2 years ago and still explodes with growth, so I’d hate to see it die.
Thanks, and I’ll keep this updated!
0230B9BD-3DCA-4F1A-BDA8-22E6775B9F66.jpeg026ED12F-2CC8-4C75-B583-FCB7DAA06194.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I found that you could cut the roots crazy hard and they won’t skip a beat. So I would cut back any thick roots upon collection. I’ve had good success barerooting them and putting them in a grow box.
I would just flat cut the tap root.
Good luck looks like a beast.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I think I'd hit it with an axe.

Is there anything worth layering off the top?

Sorce

Icefy

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

I think I'd hit it with an axe.

Is there anything worth layering off the top?

Sorce
Funnily enough, they had about 4 of these, 2 are still growing, the largest ones gotta have like a 2’ wide trunk, about 40 ft tall.
I’d beat on that thing with an axe and hatchet, and sprouts would keep coming out of the wounds haha. I’m air layering some of the branches with success on both trees.
The other stump had some 2” thick shoots with lots of growth, and I’m currently air layering two spots that should be done in a few weeks (just looked earlier and I see some large roots )

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The hardest part of any tree collection is cutting the downward growing roots. So you want to dig a trench around the tree, about 1 foot in radius, to give yourself the angles needed to find and then cut those bad boys. A tree that size is gonna have perhaps 3-4 wrist-thick monsters heading straight down.

The second thing to know about collecting a large tree like that is that it can take a long time. I always estimate how long I think it'll take me, and then double that to be on the safe side.

If you're bringing a reciprocating saw, bring extra charged batteries and plenty of extra blades. The dirt can end a good blade in no time.

Icefy

Seedling
Reaction score
The hardest part of any tree collection is cutting the downward growing roots. So you want to dig a trench around the tree, about 1 foot in radius, to give yourself the angles needed to find and then cut those bad boys. A tree that size is gonna have perhaps 3-4 wrist-thick monsters heading straight down.

The second thing to know about collecting a large tree like that is that it can take a long time. I always estimate how long I think it'll take me, and then double that to be on the safe side.

If you're bringing a reciprocating saw, bring extra charged batteries and plenty of extra blades. The dirt can end a good blade in no time.
Yeah I imagined I’d need to pull out the sawzaw for this

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Third thing is you'll always need a container about twice the size you planned.
Collected trees weigh close to double what you guessed too.

I also trim roots short at initial collection though I have not collected elms this late in the season. My usual rule of thumb is to chop all roots at around half trunk diameter long. Cutting roots around that length should work to extract it from the neighbouring shrub without causing too much collateral damage.
I would chop all branches short at the same time and defoliate so the leaves don't dehydrate the tree before it can grow some new roots.

I don't envy the work this is going to take. You'll need to take out whole sections of those thick roots in order to excavate the trench deep enough to cut underneath.

Icefy

Seedling
Reaction score
Third thing is you'll always need a container about twice the size you planned.
Collected trees weigh close to double what you guessed too.

I also trim roots short at initial collection though I have not collected elms this late in the season. My usual rule of thumb is to chop all roots at around half trunk diameter long. Cutting roots around that length should work to extract it from the neighbouring shrub without causing too much collateral damage.
I would chop all branches short at the same time and defoliate so the leaves don't dehydrate the tree before it can grow some new roots.

I don't envy the work this is going to take. You'll need to take out whole sections of those thick roots in order to excavate the trench deep enough to cut underneath.
It’s definitely going to be a challenge.
Should I just stick it in a large training pot once it’s out?

HardBall

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hate to discourage you but I suspect it is way too late in the year for you to be successful at collecting this tree. Siberian elms are tough but not invincible. I think you might have better luck in the fall.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hate to discourage you but I suspect it is way too late in the year for you to be successful at collecting this tree. Siberian elms are tough but not invincible. I think you might have better luck in the fall.
There's no rule against collecting in the summer, you just have to do things a bit differently. It'll be fine as long as he gets some feeder roots and keeps it in the shade to avoid over stress.

Icefy

Seedling
Reaction score
There's no rule against collecting in the summer, you just have to do things a bit differently. It'll be fine as long as he gets some feeder roots and keeps it in the shade to avoid over stress.
Its basically completely shaded by a fence and the bush next to it, if that helps. My parents want it out this summer, so it’s comin’ out either way.
Any other tips for feeder roots?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Its basically completely shaded by a fence and the bush next to it, if that helps. My parents want it out this summer, so it’s comin’ out either way.
Any other tips for feeder roots?
I was referring to shade post collection.

My wisdom is encapsulated above: dig a trench and cut the roots off at the bottom.

The wrong way to do it is to get impatient and start prying it up. That just rips off all the roots you need to survive.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Should I just stick it in a large training pot once it’s out?
Any container with adequate drainage holes will do as a recovery pot. I've seen trees put into buckets with holes drilled in the base or wash tubs, plastic oil pans, etc. Some people build custom wood boxes when plastic containers are not large enough. Hard to estimate what you'll need until you get it out but note that inevitably you'll need a a larger container than planned.

Not sure what else to advise given I have not dug elms in summer but I guess that limiting transpiration by defoliating and maintaining high humidity to slow dehydration after new leaves begin to grow.
It will definitely be a good experiment on out of season transplant. Please update as you go along whether this one lives or dies so we can all learn something.

Icefy

Seedling
Reaction score
Any container with adequate drainage holes will do as a recovery pot. I've seen trees put into buckets with holes drilled in the base or wash tubs, plastic oil pans, etc. Some people build custom wood boxes when plastic containers are not large enough. Hard to estimate what you'll need until you get it out but note that inevitably you'll need a a larger container than planned.

Not sure what else to advise given I have not dug elms in summer but I guess that limiting transpiration by defoliating and maintaining high humidity to slow dehydration after new leaves begin to grow.
It will definitely be a good experiment on out of season transplant. Please update as you go along whether this one lives or dies so we can all learn something.
All good advice, thank you!
I’ll make sure to keep this updated!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All good advice, thank you!
I’ll make sure to keep this updated!
Wondering how this turned out as I have an elm that needs removal and the season is completely wrong. As you stated, its coming out either way--was it worth the time and effort or did it not make the transition to container life?

Top Bottom