Sick Azalea....S.O.S. help!!!!

Reaction score
Hello, I am so very new to bonsai. My daughter gave this azalea as a Christmas gift to me. It came from Amazon and I think the trip didn't favor it. When I got it, its leaves started to fall. I had it indoors with a growing light but it was not working. I live in Florida and it is about 60 to 80 °F degrees during the day. So, I decided to take it outside and it is now under the pool lanai where it gets sunlight from 9am until 1pm. I repoted it using a mix of sphagnum moss and kanuma soil. It seems it is liking it because new buds are showing. However, when the leaves look bright green they started to turn dark green and then brown. I water it every 2 or 3 days because the soil seems to be moist enough. I really don't know what to do! help please, please. Here are some pictures I took this morning.1614265940710269443946.jpg1614265998262598493240.jpg1614266039495120600552.jpg1614266111878979889207.jpg1614266144562235766116.jpg

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Its hurtin for certain.

Your corrective measures are pretty spot on for what I would have recommended. Unless you are out west near Pensacola or Tallahassee you shouldn't need to worry about cold temps with Azaleas in Fl.

Id say stay your course and continue to monitor the new growth. No cutting, No repotting till atleast next year... Maybe two years depending on how well your tree responds this year.

In the mean time, you may want to have what ever water you are using tested for PH levels. We are looking for something in the slightly acidic side to neutral. Pool supply shops will sometimes do this test free of charge, just bring them the water sample in a clean container.

It looks to me your repotting wasn't the best, I can see the original root ball from the nursery can and what looks like kanuma packed around it. This can be problematic for one reason, water will take the path of least resistance and that means when you water it will flow around the tightly packed center and into the loose outer yellow soil. Making you think you just properly watered your tree but in reality the roots near the trunk are dry to the bone. My advice to you is monitor that dark root ball near the trunk and don't let it dry out. To ensure your tree is getting completely watered all the way to the center you may want to get a shallow container of some sort that you can "dunk" or rest the entire tree, pot and all in to guarantee that the center root ball is getting wet. Your finger is a great tool to measure mositer in soil, if you are uncomfortable with that you can also use a wooden stick or chop stick to see if the soil is wet or dry underneath similar to checking baked goods in the stove with a tooth pick.

As the temperature climbs into spring and summer, it will be important to make sure your azalea is not drying out...when its in the 90's(F) your tree may need water every day to twice a day. Something you will have to judge yourself based on how much direct light and wind it is exposed to.

Wish you good luck. There are a large number of local clubs located in Fl, Id recommend you find one and go visit them if you feel you need hands on assistance. https://bonsai-bsf.com/

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here’s a problem diagnosis and solution

Your azalea is in two different soils. Likely peat nursery mix and kanuma/sphanum. Each hold a different amount of water.
That’s a no no. Here’s why.

The peat mix holds more then the Kanuma mix. Watering every a couple days is too much for peat, but ok for the kanuma mixture. Consequently you are overwatering the azalea its possible that root rot may be setting in too. The main reason azaleas fail is overwatering... the second is over fertilizing...

At this point I’d recommend what normally is the first step when you repot. Take the azalea out of the pot, completely wash every bit of the peat out of the roots. Reserve what clean kanuma mix you can In the process. It’s a bit edgy at this point, but it has to be done.

Carefully repot using your kanuma mix. Wash completely. Then put the tree in AM semi shade. with full shade after 12 noon. No afternoon sun, absolutely no full sun.

Water sparingly for the next two weeks. Watch the kanuma, it will turn start to turn from yellow then whitish on top as it dries. Lift the pot and feel it’s heft change. As it changes, it time to water. You want to water before it’s completely dry.

That may be everyday, or every other day. Let the media tell you when it needs water. After two - four weeks you can water a bit more if your leaves start forming properly again. Otherwise keep the watering minimal. Once the leaves return in force, you‘ll need to water more frequently and more deeply.

If you get to full recovery, and I’m optimistic you can, you may be able to give it a bit more sun in the morning, but keep it in heavy shade in the afternoon.

Best of luck and let us know how things turn out.

cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
As well as looking at the root and soil issue you should explore the possibility of pests. Azalea are host to Azalea lace bug - tiny bugs that suck sap. They usually turn the leaves silvery but sometimes they also turn black/brown.

Azaleas are often finicky plants. If they don't like the soil they die. If they don't like the water they die. If they don't like the light levels they die. They are host of many pests and diseases which they also die from. Point is that if your azalea does not survive it may not be all your fault. maybe try again with another hardier species.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not sure how you prepared the repot. I tend to rinse out the roots well...then plant in 100% kanuma...with spaghnum moss as a top dressing to help with retaining moisture levels. I've not heard of mixing it into the substrate.

Also, we tend to not do repots until actively growing...or after flowering with satsuki azalea. Not sure if that also was an issue with not being the window of opportunity for a repot.

Then there is the fact you are from Florida. I believe Jason Schley can keep them easily on his bench...where as Ed Trout in a warmer zone is experimenting with satsuki. With his inside under a grow light some parts of the year. Not sure exactly what his regiment is.

Top Bottom