Sick baby Shimpaku

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I suspect it was referring to the juniper in question. It was a very young cutting, apparently not long in that pot, so had tender roots. When the sun hit the pot it warmed the water in the soil and cooked the roots. It was planted in a dark-colored pot, too, which worsened the effect of sunlight and ambint temperature.

Reaction score
I cast my vote for being burnt by the sun and lack of water... It has been way to hot and junipers do not do well in the summer sun...] Are we talking about the juniper in this thread or junipers in general? I have mostly older juniper trees including an old Hatanaka prostrate juniper and they always stay in full sun no matter what the temps reach and they thrive in it. Reading that quote especially the "junipers do not do well in the summer sun" may lead some new to the hobby to think that junipers can't stand much sun. I do understand that excessive heat on small trees like in this thread are a whole different ballgame though. Just a thought.

sorry, you are correct, junipers can handle alot of summer sun if you live in "Baltimore"... I unfortunately am not as lucky...
yes, I have raised junipers down here in the full sun, but unless they are in the ground, they require alot more work and money spent on water, than those in the partial shade, and they are never as green...
so yes, for those who are just starting off... one can raise junipers in the full blazing summer sun, and if they are doing ok, then fine leave them there...
I'll put mine in the partial sun, where they actually do much better.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
sorry, you are correct, junipers can handle alot of summer sun if you live in "Baltimore"... I unfortunately am not as lucky...
yes, I have raised junipers down here in the full sun, but unless they are in the ground, they require alot more work and money spent on water, than those in the partial shade, and they are never as green...
so yes, for those who are just starting off... one can raise junipers in the full blazing summer sun, and if they are doing ok, then fine leave them there...
I'll put mine in the partial sun, where they actually do much better.

I agree with this. I have grown a lot of Shimpakus and grown many from cuttings. They have peculiar foibles about them. First of all if you can grow them in full sun your growth will be much more compact and dense. Some of them will do just fine this way although they tend to be a bit more yellow as opposed to the deep blue green possible when grown in partial shade. I have also found that in full sun some of them will start to turn more yellow and may abandon some of the finer inside growth. Once they start doing this if you don't move them into shelter they will continue to decline.

As to the original tree. I still think the problem is fire blight. Usually watering problems manifest themselves by either yellowing foliage or turning brown not red like this one has done. I have never seen a Shimpaku exhibit this color even when under sever stress. I have seen this disease come along from time to time out of no where on a pine or two and the results are always the same; a bright reddish color. Usually attacks one tree and moves on.

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
[IMG_0390 (2) (640x480).jpg These trees and all my other junipers are in full sun 10 hours each day and it gets plenty hot in Baltimore and they can't get any greener! And they never have any yellowish tints either, never. Just a beautiful lush green! And one thing I cannot stand on any of my junipers is leggy growth, just my preference. Junipers are tough S.O.B.S! Now I can't vouch for the climate in Florida and how they respond to that much sun there.

Attachments

• IMG_0389 (2) (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0389 (2) (640x480).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

IIIROYIII

Sapling
Reaction score
I have had some success with my (kishu) shimpaku cuttings if you want to try again, I would be willing to let a couple go.

My cuttings from this year are doing well but you would have to be careful with them as they are still getting established.

I have some more established cuttings from last year but I did them in one large pot, so you would have to wait until the spring when I divide them into pots.

I also have some bougainvillea's that are doing well, you would probably have to try to kill those, they seem to be tough as nails. Feel free to pm me if you are going to be in the atlanta area.

Chris

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris, Thanks. I am a member of the Atlanta Bonsai Society. Are you?

I will message you about the shimps.

Frank

Top Bottom