Sick Cork Bark Elm

Craig

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all
I bought this cork bark elm but it looks like it needs some treatment,the leaves have yellow spots and some of the buds have turned black,any advice on treatment wil be welcome.

regards Craig.

Attachments

• DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC00126.JPG
    DSC00126.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00132.JPG
    DSC00132.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 78

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am not familiar with this specific damage, but if I had to guess, I would assume some sort of critter is eating your leaves and buds. Not only is there browning, but you can see areas where the leaves have chunks taken out of them. Might even be slugs, though I have never had slug problems with elms that I can recall.

I would try spraying with an insecticidal soap as a first step.

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Craig,

In the spring, during cooler, damper weather, my Chinese Elms are susceptible to a fungal infection known as 'Black Spot' that looks very similar to what you show in the first picture. This primarily effects tender, new foliage early in the season. I'm not sure what the weather is like in your area so I could be off target.

I treat them with a fungicide after removing the effected foliage. The infected leaves will not recover and will spread the spores. After the leaves harden and the weather settles down I do not have much trouble with them.

Norm

Last edited:

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Norm.

What kind of fungicide do you use?

Bob

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Bob,

The product I am using is Daconil. That is a brand name, the active ingredient is Chlorothalonil. I have had good luck controlling Black Spot with this product.

Norm

Craig

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys,I"m worried about the damage to the buds does it look serious?the tree is in full sun at the moment should i move it into a shady area and away from my other training trees?

Craig

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If it's black sooty mold, best to avoid it by keeping the elm from being rained on as well as watering the soil only, to keep the leaves dry, until the leaves harden off, then they will be ok.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Craig. Whenever I hear of a sick elm, I am always a bit supprised. Elms are very strong plants unless they get a fungal infection. I had delt with "black spot" on elms many times in the past and this does not look like "black spot". With a sick tree, I always think roots and soil. You want to have a very good draining soil (More inorganic than organic). With elms however, one can get by with a bit more organic than with other trees. Never let the tree dry out. With a more modern soil you can water everyday and not be concerned with over watering and if your watering everyday you should not have to worry about drying out. Just my thoughts. If its in improper soil I would get it in a different soil.

Dave V.

Craig

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi Dave
Thanks for the advice,I'll inspect the roots and change the soil.Do you think I could prune the tree or will this weaken it?
Craig

Top Bottom