Sick Schefflera Arboricola

Hoops

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My dwarf Hawaiian Umbrella plant is losing leaves at a steady pace. I've had it since April, and for the first two months it seemed very healthy, then some leaves began to yellow and drop.

After doing some research, I thought I might be overwatering, so I cut back on watering and eliminated misting. But the leaves still fall. Also, the backs of the yellowed leaves show a brownish/black splotchiness within the leaf.

This plant has been indoors with lots of light, and recently it has been under a T5 plant light. I see no apparent insects.

Anyone know what might be causing this? Could it be a fungus of some sort? Root rot?

Thanks very much for your input.

-Hoops

Umbrella 1.JPG Umbrella 2.JPG Umbrella 3.JPG

Hoops

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
StoneCloud: Thanks for your comment.

I had thought of spider mites, but there is no "webbing" that I can discern. I also put white paper under the leaves and shook them lightly and did not see any "pepper-sized" spots fall from the foliage. I have also treated the plant with neem oil twice in the last month, which I thought should control mites.

Can you suggest a pesticide other than neem oil that might knock them out?

Hoops

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One other interesting detail: the yellowing/dying leaves are thicker and less pliable than the healthy leaves.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have had three of these in my landscape for 20+ years. They like really bright light and moist, but not soaking wet, soil.

I don't have a lot to offer you, because I haven't had a problem with them. They drop some leaves in the winter when it gets cold and the sunlight weakens, but then they burst forth with new growth in the spring. I cut them back hard and they will bud back on old wood, though the "wood" is very weak and fibrous and rots easily.

If I had to guess, I would say it isn't getting enough light, so that the inner large leaves are dropping off, and the outer, new leaves, are smaller.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Get the tree outside for now if you can. Like Bonsai Nut said they are used to a lot of light. Considering the treatments you've been doing that damage could have been from before and now you have gotten rid of most of the mites. Sometimes you won't see them. I hate mites, they are so F*** annoying!

It may not be mites though, it will take you a few steps to figure this out but you will. If it's still growing and doesn't look like it is declining as a whole, don't over stress it and get the tree more favorable conditions and keep an eye on it!

Hoops

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've moved this tree outside and gave another neem treatment. Now I'll observe closely.

Thanks for the comments.

Top Bottom