Sick shimp

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dwight, you can call 800-207-6457 to speak with profile products and they'll give you a number and address to the nearest retailer. Oddly personal customer service. Odd in a good way.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Yea , thats what I did after googling them and believe it or not , in a city of 800,000 there's no one but 40 miles north in a city of 80,000 there's a place. Just gotta find time to go up there.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
BTW , thanks everyone for all the help. It's nice after some of the cr-p thats been goin on here. And for Mr Nut hisself , I did the white paper test and nothin moved so I think they are real spiders screwing with my head.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Well stirring the soil and moving them seems to help. The smaller tree has some new growth about an inch long with no sign of browning. I still plan on treating for spider mites just in case and repotting both in Sept.

Moley-O

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This year is my first experience with Shimpakus so Im no expert yet lol.
A little Yellowing is a normal phase in Shimpakus. as long as theres not a whole lot of yellowing its nothing to be feared just watched.
The Setting for my area for Shims is morning sun to afternoon shade.
Water each day (depending on soil) twice if temps get over 100.
Free draining soil is a must as they dont like to be soggy. As Tachigi suggested Akadama/Kanuma is golden for shimpakus.

As for Oil-dry, We can all go on a debate romp about Oil Dry this oil dry that. There are MANY many variations of the product that are fired at different cone temps. The one that was highly suggested to me, and I suggest to you is the product Oil-Dri. That is if your looking to start making your own soils. Its Available at Sams Club in the automotive section for $3 and some cents for a 40lb bag. It is fired at a consistent level and even mentions it could be used for gardening. Seeing as this is my first season on making my own soil (have 3 kids now so no soil fundage anymore) I have a few testers going with broadleaf cuttings. if by next year theres sludge or anything unworthy, I will note it and let yall know.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As Tachigi suggested Akadama/Kanuma is golden for shimpakus

AKadama with your standard mix works well.....I never have tried Kanuma

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
AKadama with your standard mix works well.....I never have tried Kanuma

I've used kanuma in place of akadama. Seems to hold a bit more water and is certainly more acidic. Neither of those points would pose a problem for a juniper.

I suppose if one could find kanuma they could also find akadama and it should be a bit cheaper than the kanuma in my experience.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
The problem isn't finding akadama , it's paying for it. Compared to turface it's ( akadama ) is mighty pricey. Problem here is neither is available locally so it needs to be ordered which brings freight into play. Hell , I can't even find pine bark so far. I'll keep looking as I do have some time. The temps have been hovering around 100 for a few weeks now and the monsoons just started yestreday so it's gonna be the middle of Aug at least before I'll try repotting. You all have convinced me to forgo oil dry simply due to inconsistancy.

Top Bottom