Sick willow oak help

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey everyone, today my buddy offered me a trade for this willow oak he had that hasn't been doing well and he figured I could save it. I'm pretty well convinced it's a fungal problem but would like some advice.
The tree grew this spring the started doing terrible in summer. It dropped all its leaves and sat there, the. In September it went and started to lead out again. As the cold came my buddy tucked this tree indoors with his tropicals since he didn't think it could handle winter. I recommended spraying copper fungicide biweekly incase there was a fungal problem, he said it seemed to help but it is still struggling. I made the trade hoping I could save it (didn't care for the juniper I traded anyway).
So here's the tree currently20161222_174832.jpg
Considering it is the middle of winter I didn't want to expose it to cold since it has no hardiness right now so I stuck it in my coldframe.
The leaves are a very pale yellow/whitish color, which makes me think it wasn't receiving enough sun (it was under a grow light in a north facing window, zero real sun)20161222_201332.jpg
Please help as I quite like this one and hope to figure out exactly what is wrong with it.
@Zach Smith

Thanks a bunch
Aaron

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont think bringing it indoors was a good idea

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It could possibly infect other healthy plants,be careful!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I dont think bringing it indoors was a good idea
I definitely agree, to late now though, I did hit it with copper fungicide before moving into the greenhouse and will keep up a regimen, not to worried about anything spreading as I have a constant neem oil regimen and will be using copper fungicide on this one.

Aaron

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do not know cure but wonder if is Sudden Oak Die Off? Part of tree will die off then may regrow in different area or same area. Usually only part of tree is affected but with small tree might be whole thing. Have seen several in this area and usually part of tree survives;). IF fungus Winter cold may help with some fungus problems. Also agree some closely related trees may be susceptible to infection.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
f
Hey everyone, today my buddy offered me a trade for this willow oak he had that hasn't been doing well and he figured I could save it. I'm pretty well convinced it's a fungal problem but would like some advice.
The tree grew this spring the started doing terrible in summer. It dropped all its leaves and sat there, the. In September it went and started to lead out again. As the cold came my buddy tucked this tree indoors with his tropicals since he didn't think it could handle winter. I recommended spraying copper fungicide biweekly incase there was a fungal problem, he said it seemed to help but it is still struggling. I made the trade hoping I could save it (didn't care for the juniper I traded anyway).
So here's the tree currentlyView attachment 126741
Considering it is the middle of winter I didn't want to expose it to cold since it has no hardiness right now so I stuck it in my coldframe.
The leaves are a very pale yellow/whitish color, which makes me think it wasn't receiving enough sun (it was under a grow light in a north facing window, zero real sun)View attachment 126742
Please help as I quite like this one and hope to figure out exactly what is wrong with it.
@Zach Smith

Thanks a bunch
Aaron
First order of business is to put it outside. It's not likely to get cold enough in Albuquerque to harm the tree this winter. Inside will definitely get it. From there you should plan to treat with fungicide and dormant spray. Not sure if it's a fungus or some type of insect issue, but with both you should have your best shot.

Zach

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
f

First order of business is to put it outside. It's not likely to get cold enough in Albuquerque to harm the tree this winter. Inside will definitely get it. From there you should plan to treat with fungicide and dormant spray. Not sure if it's a fungus or some type of insect issue, but with both you should have your best shot.

Zach
Thank you very much, into the cold frame it will go then and I'll spray it with both now, and in early spring.

Aaron

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Willow oak is hardy to Zone 5, by the way. For your purposes this means it can handle winter temps well into mid-Colorado. So Albuquerque should be a (winter) breeze.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Willow oak is hardy to Zone 5, by the way. For your purposes this means it can handle winter temps well into mid-Colorado. So Albuquerque should be a (winter) breeze.
Especially this year, it's been all over the place. One week theres lows in the teens, the next theres lows in the thirties.
It's quite nice here in winter, cold nights but mild to warm days generally. It's summer that sucks :p

Aaron

Top Bottom