Sickly Hinoki

Thistle

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Long time lurker here - Though I've only owned trees the past year. So far I've just been trying out and learning from cheaper material but I haven't killed anything yet so that is encouraging.

I just picked up this little hinoki cypress that was on super sale at the local nursery. It is obviously not doing well but if there is any chance of recovery I would like to do my best to help it along.

The tag says it is the meroke variety which normally are much brighter yellow.
Hardly any of the foliage (except what is completely brown) is dry or brittle, but all of the roots near the surface are black and shriveled. It it is pretty loose in the pot.

I'm guessing it's a hopeless case but if there is anything I can do for this tree I would appreciate suggestions.

http://s447.photobucket.com/user/Th...Uploads/image_zpshrg333px.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Welcome to the Nut house or looney bin, depending on which what you look at it. If you could post a better picture it would go a very long way in determining what might be wrong with your Hinoki. Odds are, you are not giving it enough water,-------or you are way over watering it. If it is lose in the pot there is not telling how long it sat out in the weatehr before it was re-potted. If this is the way the tree was when you bought it then one is left to ask why did you buy the tree? Those are the usual problems. There could be some sort of disease or infestation but you always start with the watering and go forward from there.

Where are you located in Michigan?

Thistle

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There are closer up pictures of the foliage in the photobucket album.
http://s447.photobucket.com/user/Thistle19/library/Mobile Uploads?sort=3&page=1

It was like this when I bought it, the reason I bought it is because it was so far discounted from the regular price that I thought it was worth a chance.

I am in southwest Michigan, near Kalamazoo.

Thanks for your help

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When you go searching for trees try to get a healthy tree. Don't buy an unhealthy tree even on clearance. You are going to stress the tree enough just by trying to learn how to keep it alive.
Trust me I know this one.
Also don't try to work on a tree that is unhealthy. Sometimes you have to unpot it to check the roots but only do work if you see white healthy roots and root tips. The roots should be firm and not mushy.
I don't know what is happening with your tree. I only gave you general info.
What's your watering routine?
Is the tree in full sun, partial sun or shade?
Don't feel bad it may have been on its way out already.
This is a great place for info and the folks here have tons of experience.
Ask lots of questions- it's the best way to learn.

Last edited:

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If its loose in the pot, I would add bonsai soil to the pot and work it down with a chop stick to fill in all the gaps or add potting soil if thats all you got. Fill in all the areas so that it will not be loose anymore. Remove foliage that is completely dead and put it in partial sun/mostly shade. Water well after adding soil and then Mist it twice daily and water with super thrive. Let it dry out some between watering. I believe this is save-able ive bought material like this before a few times and always did what I just recommended to you, with success.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If its loose in the pot, I would add bonsai soil to the pot and work it down with a chop stick to fill in all the gaps or add potting soil if thats all you got. Fill in all the areas so that it will not be loose anymore. Remove foliage that is completely dead and put it in partial sun/mostly shade. Water well after adding soil and then Mist it twice daily and water with super thrive. Let it dry out some between watering. I believe this is save-able ive bought material like this before a few times and always did what I just recommended to you, with success.

That actually is a very good idea. If the tree is in trouble it is not uncommon for the tree to die, so trying to do something to save it will probably not cause it any further injury.

Top Bottom