Sidewalk Yardadori Junipers

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
I was out on a drive and happened to catch a glimpse of these two junipers. From first glance I am guessing they are juniperus torulosa since there are other hollywood junipers planted nearby. The two trees are planted about 6 feet from each other and are surrounded by dead trunks of previous trees that have been removed. I know it's not the season to be collecting but just thought I'd get some suggestions and thoughts from anyone who has collected before and how I should go about things. The trees are planted along the sidewalk of a main road so I think it's safe to assume that they are on city property (I reside in southern California, older Chula Vista area to be more specific). I've done some research and found that I would need to communicate with the city's Park and Recreation director. What do you think I should even ask? Should I say its for academic study purposes (I am a senior in college) or should I be honest and say that I intend to turn it into bonsai? What do you think would give me a higher chance of getting permit approval? Thanks in advance.

Side question. Do you think they are even worth collecting? Would love to hear your thoughts, thank you.
IMG_4250.jpg IMG_4251.jpg

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I’ve never tried collecting on public property because I have access to so much private property. If you claimed academic purposes what is your basis? Art, horticulture, public works study, landscape design, etc? Will they want a letter from a teacher/professor? Lies are always so complicated! I always think honesty first so personally I’d go with that. Perhaps offer to plant some new ones to replace them and help tend them till established. That way the city saves money, looks better, and you get trees at a low cost of what 4-6 plants to make a new better hedge? Love the look in the first one!

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ve never tried collecting on public property because I have access to so much private property. If you claimed academic purposes what is your basis? Art, horticulture, public works study, landscape design, etc? Will they want a letter from a teacher/professor? Lies are always so complicated! I always think honesty first so personally I’d go with that. Perhaps offer to plant some new ones to replace them and help tend them till established. That way the city saves money, looks better, and you get trees at a low cost of what 4-6 plants to make a new better hedge? Love the look in the first one!
I completely agree with you, just wanted to see how others would approach this. "Lies are always so complicated" is definitely a life lesson that I will adopt. Thanks for the reply!

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LMAO, do you think the city planted them there for you to dig up?
I cant even...

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
LMAO, do you think the city planted them there for you to dig up?
I cant even...
I've driven down this road for years and didn't bat an eye to these trees until recently. The other shrubs that were cut down around them have been gone for years and have never been replaced. The other shrubs and trees planted in the surrounding area are either spread out very sparsely, not maintained, or just straight up dead. And plus, like Trenthany suggested, I would replace them with new plants that would ultimately make the area look better. I don't think mother nature intended for people to dig her trees out the ground, but nonetheless bonsai wouldn't exist without yamadori. So no, I don't think the city planted them for someone to dig up, but I also don't think the city cares enough about the aesthetics of this neighborhood, surely not enough for these two trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trouble with California is all the Names of places sound like it might be hood.

Welcome to Crazy!

There is a rule here, that if you find a gun behind a shrub you can remove it! Lol!

I've written my Parks guy to remove scraggle trees on a fenceline in exchange for trash pickup in the surrounding area. Got a yes. Little does he know I was going to PU the trash anyway!😉

Planting a few $6 shrubs could work.

Hell, throw on a hi-viz vest, hang a clipboard on the wall, have your replacements in tow, and just start digging.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've driven down this road for years and didn't bat an eye to these trees until recently. The other shrubs that were cut down around them have been gone for years and have never been replaced. The other shrubs and trees planted in the surrounding area are either spread out very sparsely, not maintained, or just straight up dead. And plus, like Trenthany suggested, I would replace them with new plants that would ultimately make the area look better. I don't think mother nature intended for people to dig her trees out the ground, but nonetheless bonsai wouldn't exist without yamadori. So no, I don't think the city planted them for someone to dig up, but I also don't think the city cares enough about the aesthetics of this neighborhood, surely not enough for these two trees.
Offer to turn it into a communal garden, don't even tell about the junipers. Flowers and vegetables for the neighborhood. Offer to buy the seeds, to put up a sign with instructions and to make a start for them. Your twenty dollar investment and two hours of writing a letter will be pretty rewarding.
City government will love it. Heck, I did a social study in the past.. And the American social worker presenting this idea to us students had a hard time not jerking himself off on stage. He was so darn proud of himself! Until people started asking the real questions about social cohesion (if 150 people own the tomatoes, who is allowed to pick and eat them if the plants just yield five tomatoes in total?) and the long term effects.. But hey, as long as you can dig those junies and lay a foundation for something that has potential, they'll probably approve without a doubt. Some of these projects do actually work for a long time and they do have positive effects! On paper, it sounds like a perfect plan. In practice, results vary greatly.

Don't forget to include terms like social cohesion, biological, locally produced, self-sufficient, improvement of living space, practical education, entry level gardening, future prospects, setting a good example through leadership, neighborhood ownership/responsibility, guerrilla gardening, and all those woolly new-age management terms.

I'm not going to lie, I'm an advisor to one of those projects and it's working like crap. People fight over flowers, "steal" or "claim" each others veggies and one dude got mauled by a dog because he was just walking there. The yields are so low that nobody who does actual work in those gardens gets to eat something. The bee keeper left because there weren't enough flowers to keep his hive alive. Three times a year the entire garden gets vandalized and they can start from scratch. BUT the city loved the idea and they happily give financial injections to this project. Because on paper, it sounds right.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
No it sounds like communism, and reading your description thats also what it ended up looking like.
That's because it is and I have no trouble admitting that. That doesn't mean that A LOT of people think it's a good idea if it's wrapped in nice verbal ribbons.
We both know it's a scam. But it's a harmless one in this case.

Top Bottom