Sierra juniper, "Bar None"

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
I colllected this sierra juniper about a year and a half ago. It was growing on the side of a mountain with no other trees around it. After digging it, I radioed my collecting partner and said, "I just collected the best sierra juniper, bar none." The name stuck, and we call it Bar None. The majority of sierra junipers that I collect will start pushing new growth fairly soon. However, this one decided to tease me and didn't put on much growth the first year. It is now growing well, and I will probably wait another year before working on it.

Attachments

• Img_0461-1.jpg
    Img_0461-1.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 292
  • Img_0462-1.jpg
    Img_0462-1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Img_0463-1.jpg
    Img_0463-1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 283

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That's some crazy deadwood! Bring it to the May REBS meeting so we can see it in all its glory!

Cory

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
WOW indeed! :eek: That is a once in a lifetime find for most, congrats!!!

Not sure what your plans are on that deadwood but I hope you have a solid plan before you touch it. ;)

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Cory - I had hip replacement surgery 3 weeks ago and the tree is in a half barrel. I don't think that I'll be moving it for awhile and probably won't make the REBS meeting next week.

Dario - My plan is not to do anything with the dead wood, other than to clean it up a bit. I don't think that you can improve on what mother nature does.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The dead woods amazing as it is, you can't go wrong with this tree. However if it was mine I would carve a nice curve into the wood along the top approximately the shape of the horizontal red line. And remove the part jutting upwards breaking the curve where I drew the x. But i'd make sure any carving I did looked like the rest of the dead wood.

attachment.jpg

Perhaps something like this

attachment-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
sierra juniper

hi Bob
is Ryan Neil gonna style & wire this beauty ?
can hardly wait to see the final result !

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cory - I had hip replacement surgery 3 weeks ago and the tree is in a half barrel. I don't think that I'll be moving it for awhile and probably won't make the REBS meeting next week.

Right on, Bob. I hope your recovery goes well. My wife's mom has had both hips replaced and she is all the better for it. Get well soon so you're in good form for the show. :)

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Cory - Thanks for the message. The recovery is going well, and I look forward to getting back to collecting in the near future.
Art - Ryan has seen the tree several times now and is quite familiar with it. When it comes time to work on it, it will be with Ryan for sure.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Dario - My plan is not to do anything with the dead wood, other than to clean it up a bit. I don't think that you can improve on what mother nature does.

Repeat this about a thousand times before taking any cutting tool to deadwood that has existed and been sculpted by nature for hundreds of years.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Wow is right! Fantastic tree and quite a find Bob! Congrats! Puts my recent finds to shame ;)

And here's to a speedy recovery. I'm 3 yrs out on a hip r., and did my first urban yamadori dig this last week. I came home really really sore of course lol And the only hip that hurt was my real hip! Go figure...

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks Chris - Actually I'm an old pro at this. I mentioned in a prior post that I had my other hip and a knee replaced, shoulder rotator cuff surgery and carpol tunnel surgery in both hands all in the last 5 years and have yet to miss a collecting season. My knee and hip doctor is supportive of me doing this, but not my shoulder doctor.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
maybe we should be asking for photos of the xrays....

GREAT tree. One in a million...

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's hard to go collecting after a great find. Everything else is a letdown. But like playing the lottery we keep walking, who knows what is around the next corner!!

Awesome piece!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And here's to a speedy recovery. I'm 3 yrs out on a hip r., and did my first urban yamadori dig this last week.

Chris, I didn't know this...you are crazy tackling those beasts! :eek: (crazier than me IMHO ;) - my hats off to you)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Chris - Actually I'm an old pro at this. I mentioned in a prior post that I had my other hip and a knee replaced, shoulder rotator cuff surgery and carpol tunnel surgery in both hands all in the last 5 years and have yet to miss a collecting season. My knee and hip doctor is supportive of me doing this, but not my shoulder doctor.

Wow... :eek::eek::eek:

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Its never hard to go collecting, even after finding a great piece like this. Its hard to describe, but once you've been bit by the collecting bug, Its hard to imagine not going. Just being and hiking in the sierra nevadas is a special experience. Plus I still come home with really good material.

fore

Omono
Reaction score

You ARE a pro Bob! Amazing you've been able to keep collecting! Maybe one of these days I can join you in a dig. I've seen your material, you're a very gifted collector!

EIther way, killer tree! ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its never hard to go collecting, even after finding a great piece like this. Its hard to describe, but once you've been bit by the collecting bug, Its hard to imagine not going. Just being and hiking in the sierra nevadas is a special experience. Plus I still come home with really good material.

You're preaching to the choir here LOL...though I can only dream of doing a real/proper yamadori. I used to live in the mountains (of the Philippines) and I miss it. Not sure if I have the stamina to do it now but with proper preparation and training, I can be ready (and "rough it") in couple of months. :D

Top Bottom