Sierra Juniper for American Bonsai Show in Sacramento

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Zack and I will be vending at the American Bonsai Show in Sacramento on April 13 & 14 with Michael Hagedorn as the headliner. I will also have several trees on display in the show, including this sierra juniper that I collected in 2008 and started styling in 2010 with Ryan Neil.

Attachments

• Img_0374-1.jpg
    Img_0374-1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 147

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Zack and I will be vending at the American Bonsai Show in Sacramento on April 13 & 14 with Michael Hagedorn as the headliner. I will also have several trees on display in the show, including this sierra juniper that I collected in 2008 and started styling in 2010 with Ryan Neil.

Bob,
Very nice! Do you have a pic of the back by chance?

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks Art
I've attached a picture of the back of the tree as requested.

Attachments

• Img_0375-1.jpg
    Img_0375-1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 95

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing it here in real life!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow that is nice... It seems like 90% of the bonsai activity in the US is located in the California area..lol.. It's like everyday there is an exhibition, a display, a nursery, a class or a workshop. Not to mention the much longer growing season coupled with the fact that material is much less expensive. It seems quite different here in the Northeast.

Rob

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice sierra! I hope you do well with it.

I'm sure it's very satisfying to collect a tree like this and take it through the entire development to show. Good luck!

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks Rob and Dan. I think that we are blessed here in Calif with the weather, as well as accessibility to a wide range of material and instructors.
I do get a great deal of satisfaction hiking in the sierra and finding and collecting great material. I'm going to be 69 in June and have had my left hip and knee replaced, rotator cuff surgery on my shoulder, and carpol tunnel surgery on both hands, all in the last 3 years. I going to have my right hip replaced the end of this month. The agreement that I have with my surgeons, prior to each surgery, is that I will be ready to collect in the fall. I've yet to miss a season and don't intend to miss this one either.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to be 69 in June and have had my left hip and knee replaced, rotator cuff surgery on my shoulder, and carpol tunnel surgery on both hands, all in the last 3 years. I going to have my right hip replaced the end of this month.

Seems you are entitled to a refund......

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Art
I've attached a picture of the back of the tree as requested.

Could you tell why the current front was chosen as the front? the back looks much better from the pictures, maybe branch placement was an issue.

Acurl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Beautiful tree, I have been wanting a native juniper for a while now. I love to take pictures of them when I'm out hiking!

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Could you tell why the current front was chosen as the front? the back looks much better from the pictures, maybe branch placement was an issue.

There's a ton more movement in the life line with the chosen front. That's my two cents. However there is a certain feeling that I'm looking at the back of the tree and that's why I asked to see the back to see if it was a better front. I think some further branch placement is in order for this trees future. Looks amazing as is so I can't imagine it much better

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
If you saw the tree in person, I think you might see why the front we chose was a no brainer.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks Rob and Dan. I think that we are blessed here in Calif with the weather, as well as accessibility to a wide range of material and instructors.
I do get a great deal of satisfaction hiking in the sierra and finding and collecting great material. I'm going to be 69 in June and have had my left hip and knee replaced, rotator cuff surgery on my shoulder, and carpol tunnel surgery on both hands, all in the last 3 years. I going to have my right hip replaced the end of this month. The agreement that I have with my surgeons, prior to each surgery, is that I will be ready to collect in the fall. I've yet to miss a season and don't intend to miss this one either.

So then why would you use a fake name Mr Steve Austin? :eek:
I agree w/ Rob, of course we are from the same state, not that terrible here though.
Like the Juni.

Top Bottom