Sierra juniper. From reject to kengai.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I collected this sierra juniper a couple of years ago. I tried to sell it at our bonsai club auction but nobody wanted it. So I wired it up as a cascade and put it in the Dale Cochoy pot. Once the foliage fills in I think I'll like it..

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bet you could sell it now! It doesn't even look like the same tree. Nice decision.

Chris

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice change Paul. Looking forward to your updates on this one in the future.

Jeff

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good direction. Did you consider removing the longest part wired down and making it a semi cascade?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great moves!

In the 2014 pic...
The pots accent bands look solid and leave good lines all the way through the composition. I Love that pic!

The new pic...
I think it's mostly how the branch closest to the pot now comes back and creates a closure or circle.
Maybe it's just the slight photo angle change?

I love the pot.
Love that first pics feeling....
Want to see it come back.

Sorce

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Perfect as is, just let foliage grow to fill in and become more dense then prune into the 4 levels that are already formed trimming the bottom of each level for definition...Classic Juniper Cascade...

Pot is a keeper & helps show the Juniper...

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good direction. Did you consider removing the longest part wired down and making it a semi cascade?

Oh COME ON:rolleyes:! Cascade is beautiful. Also great choice of pot. Agree that some may regret not having vision to want this tree. You did good work;).

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I have considered the semi-cascade option for this but I already have two semi cascade junipers, a California and a Utah, and this is my only full cascade. I will keep it that way. I realize that full cascades are currently somewhat out of bonsai vogue relative to semi cascade but this one will be special I think. Besides, I need one full cascade in my collection... my first teacher had personalized license plates that said "KENGAI".

Top Bottom