Sierra Juniper Midwest growing

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Does anyone know if Sierra Juniper will grow alright in the Midwest specifically Indiana. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I can’t t see why not?
They are uses to cold in the mountains.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm growing utah juniper in the so called wetlands, so I think sierra juniper would do fine.
Maybe give it a go with a cutting from someone, try for a couple years to see if it works.
But from what I can tell sierra juniper is native to Oregon as well, and if memory serves me right, it's quite humid there.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cold isn't the problem. Wet is the problem. It does get cold in this species' native region. It is an arid cold though, as precipitation is primarily snow, not rain. Wet winters with a lot of non-snow precip has been something of an issue for some of the western species around here, from what I've heard from some people who have large collected trees. Humid summers are also a contributing factor to declining health over the years from people I've talked with, who have experienced fungal or root problems. It's not a deal killer, but the conditions east of the Mississippi aren't the optimal for high altitude, drier weather species. There is a reason that western conifers like utah juniper, ponderosa pine, California junipers, etc. don't grow past there.

That said, there are more than a few owners that have success with them.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Sierra Juniper will grow alright in the Midwest specifically Indiana. Thank you in advance.
Where are you located in the Midwest?

I know of several that are doing well here in the Chicagoland area.

Top Bottom