Sierra Juniper on Auction Site

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
What? You have trees other than Sierra Juniper? Since when? I haven’t seen one! Lol!!!
Haha, yah not many, but hopefully I can trade/sell Sierra's to get different types. I think I only have two non-Sierra keepers-1 redwood and 1 Jeffery pine I collected. I have some other non-junipers but nothing all that great. I have a ton of trees i'm growing from seed, cutting and airlayer. Speaking of buying trees at Boon's did you pick up anything from Paul?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha, yah not many, but hopefully I can trade/sell Sierra's to get different types. I think I only have two non-Sierra keepers-1 redwood and 1 Jeffery pine I collected. I have some other non-junipers but nothing all that great. I have a ton of trees i'm growing from seed, cutting and airlayer. Speaking of buying trees at Boon's did you pick up anything from Paul?
Yes, the Shohin chojubai in the terra cotta pot. The one that’s all twisted up. I’m leaving it at Boon’s for now. To be used at a future BIB show.

My friend Morgan got Paul’s killer Shohin twin trunk Trident.

And recently, I purchased a JWP grafted onto Lodgepole that the Fujimoto’s had for years. That one is at Kirby’s now, and Tyler is bringing it down to NC when he gets his trees from Boon’s. JWP doesn’t do well at Boon’s, but thrives in my climate.

How’s your wife handling pregnancy? My poor wife threw up every day!

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
Hope you set your expectations on how much time you will have to work on your trees when kids come! Wife will go nuts when you are futzing around on a tree and the baby is crying with a poopy diaper.

I had to reduce my collection almost 50% but it worked out well because it forced me to focus on the keepers and sell/donate the others.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Yes, the Shohin chojubai in the terra cotta pot. The one that’s all twisted up. I’m leaving it at Boon’s for now. To be used at a future BIB show.

My friend Morgan got Paul’s killer Shohin twin trunk Trident.

And recently, I purchased a JWP grafted onto Lodgepole that the Fujimoto’s had for years. That one is at Kirby’s now, and Tyler is bringing it down to NC when he gets his trees from Boon’s. JWP doesn’t do well at Boon’s, but thrives in my climate.

How’s your wife handling pregnancy? My poor wife threw up every day!

I'm jealous of you, Morgan and Matt Walker(he got a nice Silver berry from Paul). All those were really nice, I can't believe he sold them! I think the reason for White Pine not doing well at Boon's or my house is that it doesn't get quite cold enough in the winters to really give the trees a rest. Did you get the Z tree from Robert? I love White pine on Lodgepole. My Wife is doing well, she's had some morning sickness, but has been really good and healthy:) Some funny food cravings, are you heading to the BIB show this year?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hope you set your expectations on how much time you will have to work on your trees when kids come! Wife will go nuts when you are futzing around on a tree and the baby is crying with a poopy diaper.

I had to reduce my collection almost 50% but it worked out well because it forced me to focus on the keepers and sell/donate the others.

Yah, i've been thinking about this alot actually! I imagine it will be hard to balance life with a kid. I've decided to just focus on what's important to me which is Family, Close Friends, Health and Bonsai. I'm trying to cut out most other things and focus on those things. I've got a portable work station that I can bring inside to work on trees and like you, yes i'm really just focusing on developing the keepers in my collection hence selling this one and more in the future. But, I have a few trees which are priceless to me and i'll continue to develop them. I'm excited to take pictures of my child along side my trees and see them both progress over time. I think I'll put a few of those pictures up on display in my house.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm jealous of you, Morgan and Matt Walker(he got a nice Silver berry from Paul). All those were really nice, I can't believe he sold them! I think the reason for White Pine not doing well at Boon's or my house is that it doesn't get quite cold enough in the winters to really give the trees a rest. Did you get the Z tree from Robert? I love White pine on Lodgepole. My Wife is doing well, she's had some morning sickness, but has been really good and healthy:) Some funny food cravings, are you heading to the BIB show this year?
Lol!! About the food cravings! With my daughter, it was white powdered donuts and chocolate milk. With my son, it was fried chicken on the bone. (No chicken tenders!)

About JWP at Boon’s... we think it’s the cool nights during the summer. It goes down to 50 or 55 thereabouts every night. Our warmer nights seems to encourage them to grow. As well as our higher humidity, strangely enough.

Yes, I got Robert’s literati. It’s one of those trees that looks good from the front and the back. Trees like that with a history are special. So, Jeanne and Robert are happy that it’s coming to my house where the climate is good for it.

Remember my Ume? I traded it to Paul for a Zelkova. Well, he sold it to Jose! Didnt even give me a chance to buy it back! He sold his tall JBP he used the rebar to put curves in to Matt Walker.

When you get tired of tripping over the Coffin tree, let me know, ok?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey BNuts,

I'm listing this Sierra Juniper on the Facebook Bonsai Auction site later this evening if anyone is interested, it will be a no reserve auction with $25 starting price. Here's some info on it:

Tree

Sierra Juniper –Juniperus Occidentalis Australis . Approx. 16.75inch tall, base approx. 9.5 inches wide. All pictures were taken this morning 10/10/17. This tree was collected by me in 2011 and compared to other Sierra Juniper, has relatively small, tight foliage with a nice blue color and no pollen sacks. Sierra Junipers are some of the hardiest and strongest growing of our native Junipers and do well in a variety of climates. There is a chunk of granite embedded in the trunk which occurred naturally at the time of collection. More recently, as many people have wiggled the piece of granite, it became loose and was re-secured using an adhesive. Future improvements to the tree could include shifting the tree to right in the pot, adding more shari to the trunk, and further development of pads. Another option could be to completely change the front to show off other deadwood features.

Container

This Nakawatari-Antique Chinese container is included and was originally purchased at Aichi-En Bonsai in Japan, the original red clay is covered by heavy patina. Pot is unstamped with its original two holes, it has not been modified in any way and measures 14x9x4.5 inches.

Do you have a link to the site by chance?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you might have to ask to join, but they should be pretty quick to reply.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Very nice tree indeed! I Just have one question. How did you get permission to collect this (Or any tree for that matter)? I've tried with the forestry department, BLM, and even cal-trans. Nobody wants to play ball, and others try telling me there's no such thing as a tree collection permit.

Casey

Top Bottom