Sierra Juniper

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wanted to share some pictures of this Sierra Juniper. I was fortunate to win this tree in a raffle back in August 2019 - it was a Kathy Shaner demonstration tree.

Here's a picture a day or two after bringing it home:

Aug 19.jpg

The wiring in the center of the tree was a plumb line to show the front - and the desired planting angle.

All the branch wiring on the tree was nice and loose - left it on for a full year before removing everything - in most cases right before any wire bite.

This tree did, and still does, intimidate me a bit, but in April '20 I decided to repot into the same container - replacing the old soil mix (organic + Styrofoam peanuts!) with 50/25/25 (aka, pum, lava). I was planning on removing 30-40% of the soil, but probably ended up around 55-60% given the peanuts were a surprise. Below, a picture before getting started - and halfway through.

Old Angle.jpgRoots.jpg

Here's the tree secured at it's new angle (still April) - the wiring on here is still unchanged from the demonstration day:

After repot.jpg

In October of this year, after reading a few dozen books, reading BN posts and a few days worth of YT videos - I spent about 3-4 days cleaning the tree and applying new wire.

There were a few small spots that had some insect damage and decaying wood that we're shored up and sealed - this will need refined over time. Here's a picture with a white backdrop - and in it's new habitat.

Winter 20.jpg natural habitat.jpg

Really enjoy this tree - insanely relieved the repot went smoothly. The vertical perch is a favorite spot for the birds to hang out.

Attachments

• Winter 20 Scale.jpg
    Winter 20 Scale.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 66

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to see you get your hands going.

To be honest, I really liked the august19th jpg. I think I would work back from that image. It really had a simple elegant flow to it, and great angle.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good to see you get your hands going.

To be honest, I really liked the august19th jpg. I think I would work back from that image. It really had a simple elegant flow to it, and great angle.

Makes a lot of sense to me. As noted, HUGE intimidation factor going from those hands to mine.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can imagine. Not the easiest of trees to work on. Just remember, as long as the lines you put in work, time & growing out make trees better all by itself. 4
Just don't kill it!

Top Bottom