Signed up for my first weekend workshop!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After spending my first years of bonsai going it alone, I have finally booked a weekend workshop. I am quite stoked to learn with a small group. The course includes a conifer described as having 2" trunks, 3 days of working and discussing. I have always enjoyed reading everyones experiences on this site, and it has definetly motivated me to push myself to learn with others. As a father of a couple kids, and dogs, money always gets directed to other channels. So I vowed to spend some hard earned money on my passions as well.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think a bunch of people are in similar situations with bonsai being a solitary enjoyment. I have registered with 2 clubs, and never end up making time to go to workshops. Between work, and family, we often rationalize not commiting to classes. I am making 2018 the year that I start to devote more energy to pursuing this art, and hopefully more time for collecting!

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry Wilson. Not gonna go as planned.

Attachments

• wilson.jpg
    wilson.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 30

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Wilson. Not gonna go as planned.
Thankfully I have moved out of moose country! We joke, but I have been blocked on a trail by a mother and calf, and momma didn't take no mess! I must have shot about 20+ photos of them, until she finally let me pass!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know how hard it is to find the $, or keep the $ available till you have the time, or have the time in the first place cuz we gotta be out getting that $!

Happy for you!

Sorce

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce I know you are a super family guy, and I have been super stoked to see you making pots! I am definitely squirreling money away for a custom order! Pots are one of the aspects of bonsai that have been out of reach for me, but I want to learn as much as I can. Design in a complete sense, tree, pot, display, seem to have so many possibilities, so much to study!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds good, who is the instructor?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds good, who is the instructor?
It is just a local instructor, Linda Chicoine, she is one of the executives for the Montréal bonsai society. Many of the older members in Montréal studied with David Easterbrook, and some with Nik Lenz I imagine. It will be a nice way for me to start group work, only five of us for three day. I am a part of a smaller rural bonsai society, so we will be able to have more interaction/exchange with the instructor. You are one of the people who has inspired me to seek out teachers, and add more knowledge to my tool bag.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just happen to be mulling over some pairings for next year.

And I got me a twelver for that drink with Grim finally so....

Might as well share this with you here!

This is my recent PU on the left.
And An Iker with a similar glaze.
20180107_165449.jpg

I got this Iker for a box that died.
So I came up with a way to get a different box in here.

With a heavy left lean semi cascadish...
I chose to use this front.20180107_165500_Burst01.jpg
For the Anchor dot on the right. And the way the green foliage will be very close to the mostly pink left side of the pot. Hiding interest in the pot, and hopefully accentuating the colors of pot and foliage.

(Always process of elimination, the NO sides are more important.)

I think a lot of people would make the mistake of choosing this front, since it moves left, as will the tree.
20180107_171209.jpg
But the left dot will create a "fulcrum" which will make the tree seem "easy to break over", and a little too uncomfortable for what is already going to be a very uncomfortable angle.

Change the size, the "visual weight", of the dots, and this front might become useable again for a heavy left leaning tree.

Think Passed Think Passed, everything can be thought passed.

Not dousing trees with gas. Easy.
Choosing the right pot front. Intermediate.
That shit about Ebihara in the root fusion thread that I might go blow up later.... Difficult.

But everything can be thought passed.

You thought passed NOT making it to that workshop.
Now you're going.

Anyway....
I like these pots that offer definitive views.
So when this one cracked after I was burnishing it a bit too rough....
I glazed the crack to try to fix it...
(@thams one of those seconds that is fine for a tropical, or a above 32 degree anything...:eek:)
Took pics for the other convo....
But you know....
Hide them goods in odd threads for my peeps!
20180107_165254_Burst01.jpg
I kinda like how it gives it that "one tree on earth" capability. Like...a tree will kill in this pot....or just suck ass!

Minds like them other Norbillies, Crust, Lenz, they would pair this nice.(for those who are really learning and follow ARTISTS )

I am trying to create accent planters that are very directional....I figure a directional, colorful pot can make it easier on the artist to keep either an extravagant, bright, bushy plant that can hide the color, or just a simple, easy to keep alive green plant, and still get direction.

20180107_165340.jpg

(Lol! Then you see it in the picture and realize it doesn't work, but you are drunk, so you roll with it!)

Then drunk insert random photos.20180107_165428.jpg
20180107_165428.jpg 20180107_165428.jpg 20180107_165512.jpg

20180107_165428.jpg

That one will show up nonce, or like 8 times!

Where's @LanceMac10 ! @GrimLore !
Prost!

I'm getting fucked up! It's my Friday!

Sorce

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@sorce I'm digging that second. I'm into accent drips as long as they aren't overplayed. A splash of glaze on an otherwise unglazed can jazz things up a little. That's a nice way to repurpose an otherwise unusable pot. I salute that, BUT I probably wouldn't sell it to someone. Gift? Yes. Use in the garden for your own purposes? Hell yeah!

Drink one for me. Sunday is, well, my Sunday.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm getting fucked up! It's my Friday!

Cheers! I was installing 4 wall mounts for the PC monitors most of the afternoon but I assure you BEER was a large part of the process :p

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4 wall mounts for the PC monitors

Pimp setup!

Y'all thought I was bad....

Grimmy got four screens to bring up BNUT pages on!

Sounds like great tool!

Fittin to be Noon at Grimmy's here shortly.....

I have a lot of celebrating to do!
Two folks getting pots today here. Maybe even 3.
That's the tip of that iceberg.
I'd need to drink all the beer on earth to celebrate it to the deepest end.

You ever been so keyed into everything around you that you literally feel like you could start flying?

Thats how I feel this morning.

Too One.

Understanding my own Ashes, past present and future.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Sorce

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think a bunch of people are in similar situations with bonsai being a solitary enjoyment. I have registered with 2 clubs, and never end up making time to go to workshops. Between work, and family, we often rationalize not commiting to classes. I am making 2018 the year that I start to devote more energy to pursuing this art, and hopefully more time for collecting!
I'm in the same boat Wilson. I have my eye on a couple workshop/club meetings for March and April.
My nearest club is an hour away in Columbus. I hate going to the city and blew it off last year. This year I'm going to join and get involved more.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in the same boat Wilson. I have my eye on a couple workshop/club meetings for March and April.
My nearest club is an hour away in Columbus. I hate going to the city and blew it off last year. This year I'm going to join and get involved more.

Jealous if you can ride.

I clown these Nancy New Wave biker dudes at work Cuz with all the straight BS that comes out of their mouths....
The only one to ever ride in to work was the 19 year old kid who Lives Life!

Oh...and the other barely 21 kid I got my snake from.

What's their excuse? Tools?
Back in the Day a real biker will throw a club sticker on an unlocked toolbox, leave it there, and know nothing will happen.
Oooo the fake!
They have no excuse.

Jealous if you can ride.

You wouldn't even be "going to the city".
You'll be "riding to bonsai".
(Fully enclosed sidecar requirement)

Hit the road Man!
Swing by here too!

Sorce

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Underdog that's it brother, gotta take the time! I have similar travel times, and I already drive a lot with my work truck. If we ever really want to take bonsai seriously, we have to be ready to put in the time. I hope you get there, and meet some food bonsai folks!

Top Bottom