Silicone collapsing colanders?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How do those pond baskets hold up? The cheap colanders from the oriental supermarket are lasting less than a year in the Texas sun if you don't touch them. Not much too replace, but...

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've found that colanders are quite variable in the quality of the plastic. Some break after a couple years and others seem to last a long time. I have one batch of the 10" baskets that I took trees out of and re-used because they were in such good shape. Unfortunately, I've not been able to figure out where the good ones come from versus the bad ones.

The last few batches that I bought were from Orchard Supply Hardware in the pond department

As to the silicone - I've never tried growing bags because I felt that the lack of rigidity would be a problem, particularly if you have to move the plants while they are establishing roots in the container. I think the silicone colander might be the same problem. But, no harm in trying I suppose.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These looks small, are they for seedlings ? Pond baskets make much more sense, as was stated earlier here you would not get the air pruning effect on the roots in those as the holes are only at the bottom.

ed

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
i know from experience that a flexible container -such as grow bags are very bad if you have to move them. lost a very nice cork bark pine that way. Flexing will break new root tips, if you use a bag, mout it on a board or other rigid surface and only move it by moving the board. If the pot flexes - roots will break, it can mean a serious set back or even death to a sensitive tree. They are fine for row cropping where they won't be moved for several years. I quit using them.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The whole purpose of using a colander is to have maximum air flow while allowing drying around all the surfaces to inhibit root growth and achieve pushback of the root ball.

This item is a strainer with holes only on the bottom. You will not achieve the same results with an item like this. A true colander has holes on its entire surface. No solid walls at all.

Stiple

Sapling
Reaction score
These looks small, are they for seedlings ? Pond baskets make much more sense, as was stated earlier here you would not get the air pruning effect on the roots in those as the holes are only at the bottom.

ed

They would be for seedlings and shohin trees. I hadn't noticed the lack of holes on the sides.

I thought perhaps the collapsible containers would make it easier to take the tree out of the pot for maintenance.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Actually I wish I could find rigid UV resistant perforated plastic so I could craft custom trays out of it.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Krylon makes a UV resistant clear coat spray paint. I'm guessing coating the outside of the pond baskets might help to keep them structural sound outside longer. I have a couple plants in baskets. It's not even been year yet so I haven't noticed any degradation so far, but I have been considering spraying anymore that I start using.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Krylon makes a UV resistant clear coat spray paint. I'm guessing coating the outside of the pond baskets might help to keep them structural sound outside longer. I have a couple plants in baskets. It's not even been year yet so I haven't noticed any degradation so far, but I have been considering spraying anymore that I start using.

Spraying the outside with any paint would block uv light and preserve the plastic.

ed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would imagine a pond basket would hold up better than a colander meant for inside use.

I use lunch meat plastic containers, but they get brittle.
The clean bought ones from glad, same shape, size, different plastic, lasts longer.

They should have a stamp that indicates type of plastic.

I like the paint idea.

Sorce

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Have any of you used stainless mesh colanders? Seems like it would solve most of the problems posed and they're cheap ($20).

Top Bottom