Silk Mimosa seedlings

MrsLarson917

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi again everyone,

I have another question this time about my silk mimosa seedlings I have 8 seedlings that all sprouted around the same time. 4 out of the 8 have these spots on them and 1 of them appears to have just stopped growing but is still green and the stock is a lot thicker than any of the others. 2 questions. Attached pictures.

1. What are the spots and do I need to do anything?
2. The little one not growing what should I do with it?

Thank you for your help, this forum has been such a great place to learn.
Dawn

20230223_114119.jpg20230223_114126.jpg20230223_114131.jpg20230223_114842.jpg20230223_114847.jpg20230223_114854.jpg20230223_115410.jpg

Attachments

• 20230223_114824.jpg
    20230223_114824.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 16

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had the same thing on a similar cultivar. The conclusion was Leaf Galls, pasted below was the full explanation.

——————
Whatever the original cause, these organisms are usually not still on the leaf. The gall itself is the plant’s response to the irritation. It’s not unlike the bump you get when an insect feeds on you, except the leaf gall is not going to go away.

Despite appearances, the insect is not living in the gall, and it has left behind no eggs in the gall itself. It is very likely that once you notice the galls, the insects have moved on. Before they do, they can do a lot of cosmetic damage to many plants and in particular trees. Galls can also form on stems and flowers. However, leaf galls seem to be the most prominent and get the most notice.

It is almost always the fresh new, leafy growth that is attacked by the insects and other organisms which results in the presence of galls. Mature leaves are rarely affected. However many common trees are susceptible to leaf galls, especially when first leafing out in the spring.

Damage will be more considerable following a mild winter since more insects have survived and are hungry. That is true of any insect problem in your yard or garden. While the damage from galls won’t usually kill a tree, it can weaken the tree and may cause early leaf drop. A healthy tree will send out new growth and recover, but the loss of leaves and photosynthesis will weaken a stressed tree.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I germinated 8 vachelia caven seeds - somewhat similar to the mimosa. two were really strong and there was one runt. They were all in identical conditions, so it's probably a genetic thing. The runt has now overtaken others. Not sure there's rhyme or reason. Once I started fertilizing, they all exploded.

Top Bottom