Silly question - turning a ceramic bowl into a pot

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if this is a dumb question or not - but I have many assorted ceramic bowls and saucers that my grandmother made over the years.
None are made to be pots - no drainage holes, glazed on the inside, ect. I keep thinking about how nice they would be as bonsai pots. Is it likely to be possible to drill holes in them to convert them to bonsai pots? And would they need feet as well?
I'm new and don't have any trees ready for actual bonsai pots yet, but I would love to be able to use some of these bowls when the trees are ready. Partly to save money, partly because I would love to be able enjoy more of my grandmother's pottery instead of keeping it in boxes in the basement.

flyinmanatee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would hazard a guess that porcelain tile bits could be used for the holes starting with the smallest you could find.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Tile Drill Bits are your friend.

Before you risk your heirlooms, however, get a few castoffs from Goodwill or StVinny's to practice on and get your technique

The bit tries to dance around while you start a hole, so my approach is to star by holding the drill at an angle, and as it starts get some bite, slowly ease the drill into a vertical position.

I would put some masking tape on the backside from where you are drilling, as the bit can break off chips, and this can help reduce that, plus, if the whole thing breaks, you are likely to keep more pieces.

Keep water on the area you are cutting, and don't apply pressure. just control placement and let the drill do the work.

Oh, and gloves, mask, and eye protection always.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As to feet, honestly, your wire you use to hold the tree in is likely feet enough, but anything non-reactive that gives you some space will do. The clear stick-on ones would be fine.

Mark B.

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just today I drilled drain and wire holes in half a dozen glazed and unglazed pots. Used diamond bits I picked up on Amazon. Got a set of 4 or 5 for around $20. Patience and a little squirt of water to keep things cool and instant bonsai pots. Numerous videos on-line.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use an old 1" granite core bit.....Put it in a drill press and use a large rubber tub filled with water to put the bowl into. I think I have a post either here or on my blog with pics. If I find it I will post the link.

Good luck....Best advice I can give is let the drill bit do the work....It take almost no downward pressure....Too much and it will break.

Brian

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If not bonsai, use them for accent plantings!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would love to be able enjoy more of my grandmother's pottery instead of keeping it in boxes in the basement.

Instead of risking breaking them in the process you might consider cutting down plastic nursery pots to put inside planted. Then the pottery would stay intact and serve at a drainage tray. ;)

Grimmy

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have also one or two porcelain pieces which I would like to use as ponsai pots... What bothers me is the pots being glazed on the inside, too.
What are your thoughts?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use old porcelain ware I find on thrift stores for mini pots. I cannot see any negative effects of glazing inside.

I drill a drainage hole with diamond hole saw. A dozen of them for making 3/8 ths inch hloles are less than $5 from Amazon. Cracking is not an issue - a little chipping of the exit side of the hole, worst case.

I've also used diamond hole saws on thick earthenware, up to 1 inch diameter, without any troubles.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What bothers me is the pots being glazed on the inside, too.

From what I gather there is no real difference between pots that are glazed on the inside and those that are not. There is the argument that the unglazed pots "grip" the root ball better but I'm not really sure of that.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have also one or two porcelain pieces which I would like to use as ponsai pots... What bothers me is the pots being glazed on the inside, too.
What are your thoughts?
No big deal if they're glazed on the inside, BUT that glaze makes the inside surface slick and doesn't give roots anything to "grip." Plants can slosh side to side from a strong wind, or when being moved.
I've seen it happen a few times, but it's not a big problem really.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's also the issue of how frost-proof these non-bonsai-intended pots are. Being in a northern latitude like Wisconsin, those things could crack in no time from water inside freezing and expanding.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@rockm @jeanluc83 @0soyoung Thank you for replying!
There's also the issue of how frost-proof these non-bonsai-intended pots are. Being in a northern latitude like Wisconsin, those things could crack in no time from water inside freezing and expanding.
Ceramic pots are "softer" than porcelain, so yes you are correct. Use of ordinary ceramic pots would be problematic.
Not in my case/place, though.

Dana

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a dumb question or not - but I have many assorted ceramic bowls and saucers that my grandmother made over the years.
None are made to be pots - no drainage holes, glazed on the inside, ect. I keep thinking about how nice they would be as bonsai pots. Is it likely to be possible to drill holes in them to convert them to bonsai pots? And would they need feet as well?
I'm new and don't have any trees ready for actual bonsai pots yet, but I would love to be able to use some of these bowls when the trees are ready. Partly to save money, partly because I would love to be able enjoy more of my grandmother's pottery instead of keeping it in boxes in the basement.

Well here is a kitchen serving bowl turned bonsai pot. It may not go well with the purists but for me it is economical and fun.
7E981A37-24CB-4C68-A4AE-21591EE0B51E.jpeg

Top Bottom