Silver Maple seedling clump (started by a beginner)

KindZone

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpg
This is my attempt at starting a Silver Maple clump. I am hoping to get them to fuse together, and form a single trunk. At this point they are newly dug up, roots completely cleaned of all clay they were growing in, and zip tied together beneath the soil. The roots are spread under the tie by a smooth round river stone, like the one pictured. I plan to score the trunks once they have stabilized in the pot. My inspiration was Smoke’s five trees post, and the next person who ‘shamelessly copied’ them. I have no shame in copying another’s idea, as I know that my own interpretation will make mine different in the end.
I have started this thread with hope that I will have others encourage my efforts, and possibly offer advice and critique. I also hope to document my progress, and achievements here, as well as any mistakes, or misfortune that occurs, that others may learn from my mistakes, or problems.
Thanks for looking in !
(KZ)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Neat!

I am actually attempting the same thing with some norway seedlings and one sapling..

I know that Norways are considered VERY non-ideal.

I am mostly just performing this experiment to gain knowledge of this practice.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
View attachment 316915
This is my attempt at starting a Silver Maple clump. I am hoping to get them to fuse together, and form a single trunk. At this point they are newly dug up, roots completely cleaned of all clay they were growing in, and zip tied together beneath the soil. The roots are spread under the tie by a smooth round river stone, like the one pictured. I plan to score the trunks once they have stabilized in the pot. My inspiration was Smoke’s five trees post, and the next person who ‘shamelessly copied’ them. I have no shame in copying another’s idea, as I know that my own interpretation will make mine different in the end.
I have started this thread with hope that I will have others encourage my efforts, and possibly offer advice and critique. I also hope to document my progress, and achievements here, as well as any mistakes, or misfortune that occurs, that others may learn from my mistakes, or problems.
Thanks for looking in !
(KZ)
Your pot selection is setting off my "danger" alarm bells. In a highly organic mix like that, you want a tall pot rather than a short pot. Otherwise the pot's gonna stay wet and the roots are gonna stay waterlogged. If it were mine, I'd stick this setup in a plain jane 5-gallon black nursery pot with big drainage holes.

Secondly, things aren't going to fuse unless they're wrapped with something that isn't wire or zip ties. Look at Smoke's setup. If you just use zip ties, the tree will just grow over the zip ties, cutting in and making scars.

Lastly, bonsai soil would be more ideal, but it's not a dealbreaker like the first two things could be.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I find them (acer platanoides) to be very adaptable.
full

2017-09-27-12-12-25-jpg.174110

3-inch-ish saucer

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@KindZone - all in all a nice start. I would not worry too much about the pot shape and the fact you used potting soil, as long as you allow the soil to approach dry, or lightly damp, before watering, you should have no trouble. Just remember, daily watering is not what you would do with this container, at least until the maples fill the space with roots. Then it might need daily watering.

@0soyoung - nice, I had forgotten that Norway maples do actually make nice enough bonsai. Especially if you go larger, rather than smaller, and they have some good colors.

KindZone

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpgimage.jpg
October 2023 update

I put this in a bigger pot, did some wiring, and let them get cozy together. Did not attempt fusing trunks. May try this at next repotting. Thanks for looking in !

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that's some progress! The different leaf colors make me wonder if it would be cool to try to fuse different maple species🤔

Top Bottom