Silver Maple

Carpenterb30

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So about 6 years ago this tree sprouts in a random pot i had sitting around. I let grow a couple years then we had a bad freeze and I thought it died. The main trunk turned brown and wasn't budding at all that year. I snapped off the main trunk and just forgot about it. I live in Florida now but this tree was at my home in North Georgia. I went to the house last fall and looked at the pot and the tree had sprouted 2 nice limbs and looked very healthy. I cleaned up the roots and repotted then cleaned it up a bit and trunk chopped it. Added a little wire and some form and this tree budded nicely with small leaves. I'm very happy with this surprise and I hope it continues to thrive now here with me in Florida.

Attachments

• 20200419_131719.jpg
    20200419_131719.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 82

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Silver maple grows as far north as Milwaukee, even further north. I am surprised the tree was damaged at all by frost. Drying out, or other accidents would be more likely the cause of the central trunk dying. But regardless, a nice save. The tree looks good..

Acer saccharinum - Silver maple is not often used for bonsai. It will be interesting to see this trees development. Leaves that don't reduce in size has been one complaint. Let us know how it goes.

Carpenterb30

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leo in Illinois thanks bro. I have several Japanese maples and now getting into developing these reds and silvers. I am excited for the fall color. I was really surprised at the leaf size. I expected some huge leaves to to unroll. So I'm fairly new and learning some tricks. Should I plant in the ground for a while later to thicken the trunk. Gonna leave it alone for a couple years besides basic maintenance.

Top Bottom