Silverberry Flowering in Fall

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We are in late fall here in NJ, and I found a suprise! My silverberry are blooming! This is my first year with silverberry, so I am unsure if this is typical?

Attachments

• 175ECEB9-C1C9-4E7C-BD27-EF933462D7F0.jpeg
    175ECEB9-C1C9-4E7C-BD27-EF933462D7F0.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 79BB188C-0E98-4F6E-A74A-2CA4E37240B7.jpeg
    79BB188C-0E98-4F6E-A74A-2CA4E37240B7.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 62

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Elaeagnus pungens normally flowers in autumn and has foliage that is a good match for your photo. Elaeagnus multiflora and Elaeagnus umbellata tend to flower in spring.

Elaeagnus pungens makes a great bonsai. Lovely fragrance to the flowers, the berries are edible when ripe, though they are a bit on the tart and dry side.

Your Elaeagnus pungens should be evergreen, it will remain evergreen through moderate frosts. I do not know its limits of cold hardiness, but it is likely fully winter hardy in your area.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We are in late fall here in NJ, and I found a suprise! My silverberry are blooming! This is my first year with silverberry, so I am unsure if this is typical?

When in SoCal, my Elaeagnus pungens would flower somewhere between TGiving and Christmas. My wife used to ask me to bring it into the house because it smelled so good.

Here in NoCar, I just noticed it is starting to flower this week... slightly earlier than I would have expected given the mild weather we've been having.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I noticed that the trees I have growing out flowered in the fall, but never produced fruit. Is this typical, or did I have a wierd year?

My princess persimmon did the same thing this season.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I noticed that the trees I have growing out flowered in the fall, but never produced fruit. Is this typical, or did I have a wierd year?

My princess persimmon did the same thing this season.

If you are not getting fruit, you might have one of the sterile hybrids, like x ebbingei.

It might be the plant is not getting enough sun. Elaeagnus growing in shade don't fruit.

The 3 elaeagnus species growing wild in my area all seem to have separate male and female plants. But I am not certain of this necessarily being the case.

In Diospyros, including princess persimmons. The normal case is separate male and female plants. Without pollination, no fruit. If your princess persimmons is from seed, this is probably why no fruit. There are exceptions, some females will bear seedless fruit without a pollinator, but they are rare, and highly sought after. They are propagated by cuttings and get a premium price above seed raised persimmons.

Top Bottom