Silverberry in Development

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since there's been a lot of talk about silverberries lately, I figured I'd post the one I'm working on. This is a cheapy from ebay (it might have been from the same seller who has those olive tunks). Supposed to be E. pungens and based on the leaves, flowering time (fall) and fruit, I would agree. Have had it for a few years and it's doing OK. Once I feel confident enough about it maybe I'll splurge on one of the ones listed on bonsaiimportcompany.com. Maybe not.

Current image below. Followed by a couple of images with a potential canopy outlined in green.

silverberry_sep2020_01.jpg

Possible eventual canopy shape (roughly), though probably drawn too large. Working on developing primary branches and ramification so some of what is there now won't be around for long.

silverberry_sep2020_01v01.jpg

Don't really like the angle of the lower left branch in the first 2 images so I've photoshopped it raised a bit. This may be better. I don't love that branch but think the tree needs something there.

There is also an issue with reverse taper in the trunk in that area. I might try to grow some foliage in that area to hide it, or perhaps carve some deadwood to match the jin just below.

silverberry_sep2020_01v02.jpg

Flower buds! The interesting thing is this is very new growth. Around Aug 1 I pruned back pretty hard and didn't know if I'd get any flowers this year. Guess I got my answer! Buds are forming on both new growth and older/established branches.

silverberry_buds1.jpg

silverberry_buds2.jpg

Flowers from last year. I can almost smell them now...

silverberry_flowers_oct2019.jpg

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Looks nice.
Thank you for sharing. Now I know what the flower buds look when they are tiny.

Reactions: coh

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@coh How does this do in your weather?
How cold hardy are they?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@coh How does this do in your weather?
How cold hardy are they?
I haven't really tested the lower limits temperature-wise. I let it get exposed to near freezing conditions in the fall, then bring it in to an unheated "mudroom" that typically ranges in the upper 30s to 40s during the winter. I suspect it could handle colder temperatures but not sure if it would do well in my "gen-pop" wintering areas (temps maintained at about 27 F, frozen for long periods). I'll tag in @William N. Valavanis and see if he can advise - I know he has (or had, not sure) a nice silverberry but I'm not sure if he over-wintered it in his garage (upper 20s) or in his greenhouse.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks good. Nice to see it flowering on new growth. I’m still waiting on mine. Good to know about the upper 30s. I’ll leave it out for a while.

Top Bottom