Silverberry Yardadori

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just went and dug up this Silverberry. Not sure what species or even if it is a Silverberry, that's just what the guy said. I chopped it shorter (first picture is before the chop, the rest are after). I am trying to decide what to do. My options may be to try to spread apart that Y to create more separation. I could to cut off the weird dead and large branches (that make the left part of the Y in the third picture and close up from the side in the last picture) and leave the small branch (furthest left on the last picture). Or I could do that and also cut off the right side of the Y to make a really dramatic taper to the small branch in the back.

One thing I am worried about in cutting off larger branches is how weirdly they are grown together (shown in the third and last picture) and if that would be a problem cutting them.

Well let me know if you have advice on how to style it or if chopping the larger branches might prove to be a problem

Thanks!

IMG_5571.JPGIMG_5578.JPGIMG_5580.JPGIMG_5581.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5572.JPG
    IMG_5572.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 50

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Leo. Here's where I got to today with the congested branches (first 3 pictures)

Also seeing some interesting deadwood? as the mud on the trunk is drying out and able to be scraped off (4 and 5th picture)

Attachments

• IMG_5586.JPG
    IMG_5586.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5589.JPG
    IMG_5589.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5590.jpg
    IMG_5590.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5587.JPG
    IMG_5587.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5588.JPG
    IMG_5588.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 46

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice tree.
Have you considered this branch as a candidate for the new leader? That being, if it’s healthy etc..

By leader do you mean chop the trunk down to there? I haven't considered that but I will now.

Not sure how healthy that branch is, if i remember correctly it might feel a little...crispy. I haven't really trimmed any branches to keep my options open.

If you mean chop it to that branch, why do you say that? Just to make the tree a little shorter/proportionate to its trunk?

EDIT: I just went out and checked that branch. I think its healthy but got broken during the digging/transporting process

Last edited:

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you mean chop it to that branch, why do you say that? Just to make the tree a little shorter/proportionate to its trunk?
Yes I was referring to chopping to there due to proportions.

That section of trunk where the branch in question is, is very straight, and with no taper; also, it is about the same length as section of trunk below the bend, equal like a boomerang. It seems that most great bonsai seldom have equal parts, and gradually decrease in widths and lengths of trunks and branches.

Going to a branch lower like the one in question would break that equality and I think retain a natural quality of movement already in the tree. Even going to the suggested branch would result in a tall finished tree, which I don’t consider a bad thing, but having a leader any higher than the branch in question could prove dicey in the future.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with @TN_Jim
As I look at it, I see the same thing, that segment of trunk is too long and straight. Correct it now, by pruning it back to that branch, it will improve the tree.

I would also prune back most of the other branches. Keep the "cool abrupt curves you have in a few, but get rid of the long extensions past those abrupt curves.

Doing this now, will set the tree up to just being allowed to grow for a year or two with no further pruning. Late summer, after new branches have hardened up enough to handle, you can begin wiring.

There are other ways to tackle this, but I think TN Jim pointed out one of the better routes to go with this tree.

After this initial pruning, let the tree get bushy for a year or two. The buds that sprout will give you new choices, more design possibilities.

Nice find, and I do think it probably is silverberry, or one of the Elaeagnus. The dark core of wood is the classic color I've seen in Elaeagnus.

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A little update. I dug down a bit to find some nebari which I kind of did, but mostly I found some wider trunk. I think the trunk looks pretty good with this new front that also shows off some dead wood. I was also thinking it was kind of looking tall, so maybe cut off that whole left side trunk and use that left side as the leader. Any thoughts on that? One thing I am woried about is not having many branches to work with if I do that. I am not sure the amount of backbudding this plant will have as there isn't much info on silverberries of Eleagnus
.IMG_5594.JPG
IMG_5595.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would follow either one of two strategies.
1. - you could just let it grow now for 1 or 2 years. The longer you let it grow out, the more back buds will form, the more future choices you will have. Right now you don't have enough branches to really design a nice tree with what you have. So, you need growth. Along with this, you could embrace the idea of a medium size bonsai, rather than a small bonsai. Most bonsai at major shows, that win awards are in the 2 feet to 4 feet tall range. They are not tiny things. Small trees have difficulty packing the impact, the visual effect that a medium to larger size bonsai will have. Think about going with a 24 inch tall or slightly taller tree. Also read up on Walter Pall's hedge pruning. This will help you get much more back budding and multiple branches going so that when you do sit down to do the "first official bonsai styling", the will be lots of choices.

2. If you really want to have a smaller bonsai, less than 12 inches tall, consider chopping lower right now, then letting it grow for at least 2 or 3 years.

silverberryIMG_5595.JPG

Either tactic will work. It all depends on how attached you are to "going small".

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I decided to chop the right trunk. It is about 10 inches from the ground to the chop and about 16 to the top of everything, So its not 2-4 feet like you suggested Leo but I didn't chop it as short as you suggested. Sorry about all the posts, self quarantined with not much work to do and a little bored.

Here are some pictures of the chop and some possible fronts
IMG_5608.JPG
IMG_5605.JPG
IMG_5606.JPG
IMG_5607.JPG

Top Bottom