Silvester (scott pine) need an advice

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok yes you can move the circled part gently to the right away from the other branch. Just don't do an extreme bend now because it is summer and moving a branch win summer can cause problems
Yes or I can wait next autumn, there is no rush. I will keep the dead part so I can grab the wire.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
I think I have a problem here, the circled part also start to yellowing, can be a weak area that suffer the repot ? Or it's a fungal infection.
Also on the back some are getting mild yellow.
Any suggestion ?
I start to give Fosetyl Al to help the plant...

20230729_105107.jpgIMG-20230729-WA0026.jpeg

Here some close up pictures

20230729_172327.jpg20230729_172351.jpg20230729_172405.jpg20230729_172435.jpg20230729_172502.jpg

Last edited:

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
So I spoke a send some pictures to a Bonsai expert friend that live in Italy, he address the problem to a lack of energy management.
According to him the plant is generally weak, and starting with a strong apical dominance leaving the lower branch without energy....
He suggested me to keep in the sun and plucking the needle around half august only on the strong part, and wait.
At the same time I have talked with the previous owner and he confirmed me that this plant was not followed at all the last 3 4 years.....

Make sense for you ?

Reactions: R0b

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree looks mostly like a tree shedding branches in weak parts of the tree one could also be due to wire application. I see both on some of our trees. Is this indeed on a lower (shaded) branch?

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
I agree looks mostly like a tree shedding branches in weak parts of the tree one could also be due to wire application. I see both on some of our trees. Is this indeed on a lower (shaded) branch?
Hi thank you for the answer, the wire was put on last october, repot in April and since the plant was not so strong I did not touch the candle at all.
Starting with energy balance was in the 2024 roadmap :)
The plant is in a full sun, I mean 9-18 sun, with all my other pines.
Anything I do to mitigate the problem this season ? I keep this part always oriented to the sunlight....

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sound you do the right thing, it can be many things contributing to this, wiring and repotting in sequence can be an issue depending on the severity and skill level. Also the weather of cours plays a role. Better repot first see the reaction (regrowth) than style but again it depends if initial styling and repot or a minor adjustment to an established tree.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes I know, the styling was october, then after 7 months the repot, the repot was not an urgency but the PO wants his pot back because is a special one, without this request I have waited another year.
So, i will leave as is, hopefully he doesn't lost all the branch, should i remove the needle in middle late august according to the strength of the zone ?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking at how weak this tree seems right now, I would do nothing but water and fertilize until next year and see how it recovers

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok, will do it.
Regarding fertilize I have several.

Bio Gold
20-20-20 mineral
Miracle gro
Tamahi

I have used Miracle gro once a week, should I change ?

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
The winter is here, and thanks to your suggestion the plant make a lot of new buds, I have to reduce to 2 or 3 lateral buds ?
In some branch i have a big central one plus 5 or 6 around.

20231215_105425.jpg20231215_105449.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent recovering. Personally, leave buds alone. Danger in removal of damaging another one. Wait next spring, let all grow then thin out once needles harden off. All growth will add wood to tree, add root growth, strength of tree😌. Also more needle count makes shorter needles.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings @bonsai-max !

Concur. Leave these buds on for now.

Personally would take to twos when candles extend and can safely be removed. Then candle balance (strong to weak, medium to weak to needle bundle profile) in spring as discussed for Austrian Black Pine. Same song, different tree.

One exception. Leave all the buds intact on any weak branch.

Also put pelletized fertilizer, Osmocote plus or the like, on all conifers for winter, 1/3 strength

btw How’s the Austrian Black Pine doing, haven’t seen an update in ages?

cheers
DSD sends

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
btw How’s the Austrian Black Pine doing, haven’t seen an update in ages?
Very kind from you to ask, black pine is ok, no strong as the Scott pine, still mostly one big bud at the end, tomorrow I will post some pictures.
Regarding the Scott pine I will follow yours advice, thank you so much.
So when the candle will be longer, before they will pen the needle I will do a selection, and after a while as soon the needle are opening energy balance....

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very kind from you to ask, black pine is ok, no
So when the candle will be longer, before they will pen the needle I will do a selection, and after a while as soon the needle are opening energy balance....
Hmm…. You might refer back to the Austrian Black Pine thread …I was discussing balancing the energy by breaking/cutting strong, then medium candles to mirror weakest candles length …well before needles emerge.

It will take more time for the Austrian Black Pine to recover from the years of decandling and needle plucking… a technique only done on double flush pines.

Cheers
DSD sends

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi there, the season is starting and all the plant start moving. The Silvester have some reddish buds that i never had seen, what are they ?

20240408_180909.jpg20240408_180915.jpg

Top Bottom