Simple rain bucket?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm trying to find a relatively simple rain bucket solution... ideally I want to be able to take the lid off easily for cleaning, or perhaps to dunk my pots in. Most things I've looked at seem primarily designed around aesthetics and don't seem to offer much in the way of opening up the top.

Possible that I'm simply looking in the wrong places.

Does anyone have any that they recommend that are relatively simple and relatively cheap? I feel like I've spent way too much time looking for "a bucket" and getting things that are "a bucket plus some other stuff I don't want" maybe

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found one of them sealing 5gl with the pour spout. You could probably pipe a inch PVC into it and jam the other end in your gutter ponting up, or otherwise contraptionalize it.

I just watched this today.

I'm looking into Aquablox to build a reservoir.

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I needed one…..I just looked for 25-30 gallon or 50 gallon barrels on Craig's List. My downspout on the house drains into the barrel. I drilled a hole at the bottom and connected a small hose. Any plastic barrel/bucket/container will do. However, I avoided barrels that previously contained chemicals, and I found very clean barrels. Has a removable lid. I removed one of the large pour plugs and fixed a screen to the hold to keep out debris and mosquitoes and still let the downspout pour in. Less tHan five minutes of rain from the roof filled 50 gallons. Barrels are about $5 each depending on location. It was a DIY project.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is my setup. I started out with just the one on the left and then added the other one later. When the first one fills up, the overflow then goes into the second through the white pvc pipe. The faucets at the bottom are for filling other storage I have inside that we use for indoor plants so you could easily do without if not needed. I dip my water can in the right one to water hot trees in the morning until they all get hose watered in the evening. You are correct in needing easy access for cleaning which I do about twice a year. They do get pretty nasty.
107118E9-2D35-4D13-B734-0DD753F8F153.jpeg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The rectangular heavy duty plastic storage tubs available at most any big box stores work well. Just cut a hole in the lid for the down spout from your rain gutter to feed in. Leave the hole to one end, maybe cut out all the way to the edge so it slides around the down spout, and you can dip a watering can in the other end, or have room to place a tree or two in the bottom of the tub. Add a spigot if you like.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
No rain here in this desert! Have to use tap water… miss my rain barrels! Hah!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The rectangular heavy duty plastic storage tubs available at most any big box stores work well. Just cut a hole in the lid for the down spout from your rain gutter to feed in. Leave the hole to one end, maybe cut out all the way to the edge so it slides around the down spout, and you can dip a watering can in the other end, or have room to place a tree or two in the bottom of the tub. Add a spigot if you like.
Yup…..that would work great.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is my setup. I started out with just the one on the left and then added the other one later. When the first one fills up, the overflow then goes into the second through the white pvc pipe. The faucets at the bottom are for filling other storage I have inside that we use for indoor plants so you could easily do without if not needed. I dip my water can in the right one to water hot trees in the morning until they all get hose watered in the evening. You are correct in needing easy access for cleaning which I do about twice a year. They do get pretty nasty.
View attachment 380502

great DIY solution! I don’t know why i hadn’t considered doing something like this, i probably already have what i need even. Thanks!

Craigslist is a great idea as well

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
great DIY solution! I don’t know why i hadn’t considered doing something like this, i probably already have what i need even. Thanks!

Craigslist is a great idea as well
I think that the store bought trash barrel is a better solution. Parts are easy to work with, cut, and replace if needed. Much easier winter storage too. I didn’t think of trash barrels when I was looking. I should have….but didn’t.

Top Bottom