Simple theft recovery

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm trying a new trick to help recover stolen trees. I have gardening tags which I normally use to keep track of repotting, etc. However, I am etching my name into them and putting one in the bottom of a pot when I repot. I hope this can help in either of two ways:
1) If recovered as stolen property, it could be used to locate me as owner (if they took it out of the pot.
2) If stolen, the tag in the pot could help prove ownership (a more likely scenario.)

It can also serve as reminder to the thief where they stole it from so they could:
1) Return for more stuff.
2) Return the tree once they turn to Jesus.

[EDIT] Do you really want to be showing your address on this site? If not I would use a fake address with "John Smith" etc - the Internet has a LONG memory... BNUT[/EDIT]

Attachments

• Birch w tage.jpg
    Birch w tage.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 60
  • empty pot.jpg
    empty pot.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about these things instead? They're rather pricey, but 108 of them come to a pack, and they're waterproof. This way if the thief doesn't come to you, you can come to him. Or at least the sheriff can.;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How about these things instead? They're rather pricey, but 108 of them come to a pack, and they're waterproof. This way if the thief doesn't come to you, you can come to him. Or at least the sheriff can.;)

It would probably help if law enforcement cared----and they don't. I know only one person who has had trees stolen that ever got them backi, and it was not the law that accomplished the feat.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

From what I just read about these tags, they only show a last location where the tag was scanned by a reader. Don't think that too many thieves will be scanning those tags. At least that's what I understood from the description. Nice idea though, could be great to find lost pets too.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Or you could use microchips (imbedded under the bark) like they do on dogs and cats. But again I guess it would be primarily for proof of ownership. Might be worth it on more expensive trees.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
At our old house that was not a problem and we only moved a few minutes away but into an established more populated place complete with an HOA. Just "because" our Townhouse is at the main entrance on the commons we made arrangements for a 6 foot tall Cedar privacy fence as a precaution. I really do not feel there will ever be a problem but being from NY I understand it is wise to keep nicer things out of sight to passers by... We will display some full view in the front of the house but that will only ever be seen by people that live here like the Chief of Police. Back in NY though I worked in video surveillance cameras and wherever I lived there it just plain worked. Location, location, location...

Grimmy

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, it's a shame that something so beautiful like a bonsai collection needs to be hidden. I often wonder how many nice trees are scattered throughout the U.S that will never be seen. They will simply shift from one private collection to another unseen. It's a secretive hobby most likely from the monetary value of most serious enthusiast collections. Once you cross a certain threshold in terms of value it's easier to just keep it private. Thieves can't steal what they don't know exists. This is why I like many keep my trees private. Sad but true.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you can get past my security parameters than you deserve to have it.

Top Bottom