Simpson Stopper

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I picked up one of these (Myrcianthes fragrans) at the show last week, for no good reason. I have done a bit of research online. But, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them, perhaps some Floridians?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to make more room in the garage.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Hmmm. I guess as a big tree/shrub in the yard? Not a small potted plant?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
well yeah 15 foot tall shrub, but I don't plan on sheltering it when its a potted plant either.
But you live if FLORIDA, lol.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
But you live if FLORIDA, lol.
I did have two loropetulum bonsai die from the cold this year. Had to be from that, they were doing well right up until the second one 26 at 3 am and below freezing till 9 am. So its not quite the garden spot everyone thinks it is down here. I'll have to get some pics, right now my landscape ones are shedding old bark, all fresh and green underneath.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Carol 83
Simpsons Stopper would not be hardy in your area, too cold for too long. When talking cold tolerance with tropicals & sub tropicals, duration of the cold is just as important as the actual temperature. A surprising number of tropicals will survive a couple hours of freezing, but extend that time to days and weeks and they will die. So Simpsons Stopper won't be hardy north of it's natural range.

Loropetalum is hardy to maybe sheltered gardens in Memphis, but not Saint Louis.

Top Bottom