Singapore Holly

Bonsai_Jon

Sapling
Reaction score
I just picked up a small Singapore Holly; does anyone have any experience with them?

I picked up one last year as well, but before I could even get her settled into her new display area (literally 2 days) she fell victim to a squirrel.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Malpighia coccinea is one of the species called Singapore holly. They are warmth loving true tropical trees. They will suffer if exposed to cold much below 40 F, +4 C.

They need some sun, probably 50% to 75% sun, do not dry out hard between watering, allow to get barely moist, then water again before complete dry. They will tolerate shade, growth is better with sun.

Any good bonsai media for deciduous trees, will work for bonsai pots. For growing out as pre=bonsai, use a good potting soil.

Fertilize with a good quality fertilizer that contains both macro and micro nutrients, they are moderate to light feeders, Fertilize while in active growth. During cool weather growth will slow, decrease or stop feeding.

As bonsai they are excellent for most small to medium size styles. They adapt well to any of the basic deciduous tree designs. Allow to grow out, let branches extend 6 to 12 inches, then cut back to just one or two internode segments, roughly 1/2 to 1 inch. They can be wired, but most just use clip and grow methods. Leaves are small and in bonsai culture become very small.

Flowers - I forgot what time of year they'd flower for me, but they will flower when healthy, and the flowers can be followed by orange fruits. I no longer have a singapore holly. The fruit are not edible.

Its cousin, Malpighia glabra is the Bush Cherry or Acerola Cherry and it flowers off and on all year when happy. Even in northern climates and under lights in winter.

Top Bottom