Single Trunk Mugo Video

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I was finally able to get this video to post.

It was part of the group of trees I brought home from the nursery the other day already documented in another post on the site. This particular tree is the only single trunk I found amoung all of the other trees.

I am having problems emeding a file link so here is the link. Hopefully you will be able to see the approach I use on these trees and how I establish a single trunk line on a tree that does not have a single trunk line that is clearly definable.

I you want to study this kind of method it is most clearly described in Ch 15: Two Styles of Chines Bonsai in Dorothy S. Youngs"s book Bonsai The Art and Technique. It's an older book and may not be available in print any longer (1985) The technique is simple recognizing what you are doing is not. It is like ridding a Bicycle, simple and difficult at the same time. However; I have been trying to explain this for many years and here I think I have been able to demonstrate it and refer you to a book that does explain and illustrate the technique.

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=gctqezwbcoE&u=/watch?v=6WURqz72grI&feature=em-upload_owner

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
For any one reading this or viewing the video I would appreciate it a lot if you would take the time to make a simple comment. "Boy this sure sucks" is a comment. I don't know how many of you have tried to do these videos? I know some of you have, you should know it is a lot of work to go through if no one cares enough to bump the thread.

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
You commented a couple times Vance "some of you will cringe" I didn't so much cringe as much as say "Holy crap! You can hack of that much in one go?" Would you need to remove roots as well to balance the session, or with mugos, are you relyint on the whole root mass to help the tree recover?

djm4243

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Great tutorials! I appreciate the time you take to make these videos for us. Going to look for my first Mugo's today at a couple nurseries by me.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes I have taken a lot off at one time. Generally I try to advise leaving at least 50% for beginners just to be safe but I have gone much further than that if
Great videos Vance. I like this tree too.
Tell the neighbors to lay off the leaf blower.
Pierre, I've seen him take more off at once.
I don't know whether you remember some of the first videos I posted a couple of years ago? You can hear this lady yelling at her Grandchildren. I wanted to start a club and call it The Screaming Lady Bonsai Society.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Great tutorials! I appreciate the time you take to make these videos for us. Going to look for my first Mugo's today at a couple nurseries by me.
Good luck and I hope you have learned something useful from the videos.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great video. Keep them coming
Joedes

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for taking the time, Vance.

Everybody likes to see a good whackin'!!!

How about using a saw...just to break the monotony!!:p

It does take a bit of effort to post up videos, so thanks for the effort!

Wonder if firecrackers would create interesting deadwood......:eek:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Give it a try and let me know how that works out for you---LOL. Incidentally; I have been known to use a saw when working with really large branches and cutting into soil masses.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
For any one reading this or viewing the video I would appreciate it a lot if you would take the time to make a simple comment. "Boy this sure sucks" is a comment. I don't know how many of you have tried to do these videos? I know some of you have, you should know it is a lot of work to go through if no one cares enough to bump the thread.

I think you might appreciate this kind of comment:
A day off,huntingpinus01.jpg pinus02.jpg

After a couple hours:

pinus03.jpg

It is not mugo though, label that was on stick inserted in potting soil says Pinus leucodermis (Bosnian pine), sticker on the pot says
Pinus sylvestris. I don't bother with that , it is a same procedure with both to bring them to bonsai. Just following mugo stuff.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have not worked Bosnian Pine but I bet it is very similar to the Scots and Mugo as to care parameters. I do appreciate the reply incidentally. There is nothing more discourging than cyber crickets.

Top Bottom