Sinking this into the ground and letting it grow for 3 years...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was advised to pot this come spring and let this grow out a few years...since it is friendly to my zone...and I've heard ones planting bonsai in the ground to grow. I am wondering if that maybe the best way to go...maybe covering it with burlap during Ohio winters...

Thoughts on if this should or shouldn't be the route I take?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 80

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it is zone frinedly you shouldn't need to protect it. You can go ahead and plant it, just don't disturb the root ball. One thing I have done is planting them in the ground inside a nusury container that is cut down shorter. The roots will escape out of the drain holes and it makes collection in a few years much easier by just cutting around the container this helps keep the root ball intact at collection. Its called the escape method and works well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If it is zone frinedly you shouldn't need to protect it. You can go ahead and plant it, just don't disturb the root ball. One thing I have done is planting them in the ground inside a nusury container that is cut down shorter. The roots will escape out of the drain holes and it makes collection in a few years much easier by just cutting around the container this helps keep the root ball intact at collection. Its called the escape method and works well.

So can I plant it in what it is in already? It is a plastic container...and much large than the actual root ball. Because I learned this when digging off the glued pebbles it came with...the root ball sort of loosened and raised a bit from the soil mix in the container.

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No, get a black nursery container that plants come in with the rippled sides and the four holes around the bottom edge. 5 gallon size is good. Put a screen over the hole in the bottom center, don't screen the holes on the sides. Don't buy one -any gardener has at least a couple dozen ( or a couple hundred in my case) in the garage. Cut the top 1/3 off then fill and plant to halfway up. Put it in the ground with a few inches of the rim above ground. I paint a mark on the rim to show where the holes are which makes it easier to cut the roots off when you dig it up. If you use a bonsai type soil inside the container it will help develop finer roots. I use 2/3 turface MVP and 1/3 Napa #8822. Then don't mess with it for at least 3 years. You will be amazed at the growth. I have done this with Tridents, Acer p., zelkova, juniper and crape myrtle.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, get a black nursery container that plants come in with the rippled sides and the four holes around the bottom edge. 5 gallon size is good. Put a screen over the hole in the bottom center, don't screen the holes on the sides. Don't buy one -any gardener has at least a couple dozen ( or a couple hundred in my case) in the garage. Cut the top 1/3 off then fill and plant to halfway up. Put it in the ground with a few inches of the rim above ground. I paint a mark on the rim to show where the holes are which makes it easier to cut the roots off when you dig it up. If you use a bonsai type soil inside the container it will help develop finer roots. I use 2/3 turface MVP and 1/3 Napa #8822. Then don't mess with it for at least 3 years. You will be amazed at the growth. I have done this with Tridents, Acer p., zelkova, juniper and crape myrtle.

I put things in a root sock filled with bonsai soil. the above would work as well. I always think it's better to have some containment of roots other wise one might go crazy on you at the expense of good balance. Three years isn't going to overwhelm a pot or sock. The other thing to remember is that you have to let the top grow as big as it wants to. if you prune the tree in the ground it won't accomplish much.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think putting this little tree in the ground is the best idea. You can accomplish the same thing and have more control over the care if you just plant the whole thing in a colander that is about twice the size of the current pot. Spring would be the best time to do this.

Rob

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:eek:
Personally, I don't think putting this little tree in the ground is the best idea. You can accomplish the same thing and have more control over the care if you just plant the whole thing in a colander that is about twice the size of the current pot. Spring would be the best time to do this.

Rob
You think Rob? Been reading so much on ground planting native bonsai...

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes, but this tree is very young. The tree is probably 3 or 4 years old. We do not know where it was kept over the last 2 winters. There is a chance that this tree has not been exposed to a harsh winters. To put such a small tree in the ground and have it be exposed to winds, freezing temps, large amounts of snow. The tree might no take to it very well. Also, we do not know what the root system is like. I have seen very healthy junipers have very small root systems even on larger trees.

You can accomplish almost the same thing by just planting it in a colander. Also, one thing you will need to consider no matter what plan you chose. It will be about 4 years or so before you can really do any styling. Hence, this really won't become a bonsai for another 6-7 years. Is this something you are willing to accept?

Rob

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Rob on this one...definitely don't plant it in the ground now, if you want to do it hold off until spring.

What is your goal with this tree? If you want to grow it out to get a larger trunk, the ground would probably be the quickest...either planted directly or in a colander so the roots can escape. If you want to use it to learn how to take care of a tree in a bonsai pot (I don't know how much experience you have), then just repot it when the time is right. Personally, I have found it trickier than I expected to keep trees (especially junipers) healthy in bonsai soil/pots, so using this to learn on wouldn't be a bad plan if you're new.

Chris

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, but this tree is very young. The tree is probably 3 or 4 years old. We do not know where it was kept over the last 2 winters. There is a chance that this tree has not been exposed to a harsh winters. To put such a small tree in the ground and have it be exposed to winds, freezing temps, large amounts of snow. The tree might no take to it very well. Also, we do not know what the root system is like. I have seen very healthy junipers have very small root systems even on larger trees.

You can accomplish almost the same thing by just planting it in a colander. Also, one thing you will need to consider no matter what plan you chose. It will be about 4 years or so before you can really do any styling. Hence, this really won't become a bonsai for another 6-7 years. Is this something you are willing to accept?

Rob

You make very good points...I was talking it over with my husband...he is all for a colander. He didn't wish to dig such a larger hole for a tiny thing of a tree...asking me again why I brought it home...seems more trouble than it is worth.

My initial reasoning was...I loved how tiny it was...but I think it would be nice to see where I could take it. I realize it will be years before I can wire it. But I recall seeing a post where someone didn't touch their bonsai and was able to accomplish a lot when they did. (maybe in the before and after post topic) that maybe neat to do...I plan on getting an acual bonsai to work on...something on a larger scale...next spring though. Unless I find something worthwhile at a nursery for a good deal to possibly mess up. Attempting to learn...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with Rob on this one...definitely don't plant it in the ground now, if you want to do it hold off until spring.

What is your goal with this tree? If you want to grow it out to get a larger trunk, the ground would probably be the quickest...either planted directly or in a colander so the roots can escape. If you want to use it to learn how to take care of a tree in a bonsai pot (I don't know how much experience you have), then just repot it when the time is right. Personally, I have found it trickier than I expected to keep trees (especially junipers) healthy in bonsai soil/pots, so using this to learn on wouldn't be a bad plan if you're new.

Chris

Chris...I am very new to bonsai...but this little juniper is far from ready to work on...I realize that now. Not really concerned with beefing it up as much as letting it grow out to work on...I want to Scour a nursery or two...see if I can find something on clearance that won't mean much if I do a bad job of it. Though...I've a creative eye...it maybe different when it comes to bonsai.

Top Bottom