SIP (Sub-Irrigated Raised Bed)

Jacob Jaimes

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Self-watering Raised Bed

A Raised bed with reservoir to maintain & conserve water during drought.
The design also includes an overflow in case of long periods of rain.

What I'm wondering is what changes would have to be made to adapt this to bonsai use.
Assuming I maintain appropriate wicking, would all I need is a more aerated Potting Mix?

I've been planning to use decomposed granite for the small particle size to aid in aeration. Typically unattractive for its weight, it won't be move as a pot would.

Thoughts, Opinions, & expertise would be well appreciated.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That dude....(who looks like Owen and Eli mashed together) except boring as hell...Is boring as hell!

Even if this system works....
It subtly removes that elusive element of Control that we seek.

Bonsai in "Modern Substrate" is essentially us manually watering an automatic flood and drain hydro system.

How to automate it, with a fail safe or 2?

That is the most effective efficient system.

Sorce

Jacob Jaimes

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That dude....(who looks like Owen and Eli mashed together) except boring as hell...Is boring as hell!

Even if this system works....
It subtly removes that elusive element of Control that we seek.

Bonsai in "Modern Substrate" is essentially us manually watering an automatic flood and drain hydro system.

How to automate it, with a fail safe or 2?

That is the most effective efficient system.

Sorce

The intentions are for large "mother" trees that I'll be air layering to produce smaller trees efficiently so the perfectly flat radial root base won't be entirely necessary.
I considered the overflow & more aerated soil to be fail safes imo.
I won't be using the bottom-feed method the guy boasts but possibly use drip irrigation or simply water normally.
I'd also consider the reservoir a fail safe for drought prevention.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The intentions are for large "mother" trees that I'll be air layering to produce smaller trees

If that's the case just plant it in the ground like any other landscape tree. Water during drought. Done and done.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And if you want them in an irrigated bed: No, you do not need special substrate for trees grwing in the ground. Just plant in whatever you were growing things in before.

Top Bottom