sister just bought me this Bonsai at a store in Baltimore. I know nothing about it

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been looking into, and talking about getting a bonsai tree FOREVER. My sister finally got fed up with it and went to a local plant store in Baltimore, MD and got me one. I have no idea what type of bonsai it is, how to care for it, age, etc. As you can see by the picture, it came with a bonsai pot and has a pretty thick trunk. I would like to trim it, as it just looks like a mass of leaves and branches that need to be thinned out a bit. Right now, i have it situated in an East facing window on the top floor of my house, so it should get about 6 hours of direct sunlight each day. I have yet to water it, trim it, or do anything to it for that matter. I just got it yesterday. Any trimming tips, watering tips, general care tips, and any other information you all could give me would be much appreciated. I have wanted to get into Bonsai for a long, long time and this is the perfect opportunity to finally get it done.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Blake

Attachments

• Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 109

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks like a portulacaria. Not really a jade, though sometimes called a dwarf jade. They don't like wet feet, so don't overdo the watering. It's better to let these dry out a little rather than try keep them always moist.

They backbud well and can take heavy pruning. You can sort of prune it to the shape that you like. If it were mine, and I knew that it was healthy, I'd probably trim off all those long shoots. It's hard to give much advice based on the one little picture though. There are a few threads on these already if you search this forum.

Have fun!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The shoots and leaves will set roots if left on/in some soil.

Yes by the way dwarf jade, portulacaria.

I would say learn to take care of it first, then worry about styling it. Hortaculture before art.

Top Bottom