Siver Birch:

Lance

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all, I collected this silver birch from the mountains, i feel i a few years time with some growing and styling it will make a nice Bonsai.
Where the red mark is, thats where i am planing to chop , and take the left shoot as the new leader.
Lance..

Attachments

• birch_001.jpg
    birch_001.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 233
  • birch_002_100.jpg
    birch_002_100.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 256
  • birch_003.jpg
    birch_003.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 236
  • birch_005.jpg
    birch_005.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
You have collected a nice birch with a good looking base. You may want to consider not chopping it for now and just letting it push new growth at the top. Let your new apex really push some new growth and wire it gently for shape and movement. I say wait for the chop because the species is prone to bleed sap and you may get an area of dieback below the chop - in a sense killing the area where the new leader is proposed. Letting the new leader grow and build up some strength and thickness will allow you to slowly prune back the stump. Good luck with yor birch....Tom

Lance

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you Tom for yor reply..

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some tree species have characteristics that they are known for - and these characteristics often define the styling of the bonsai so that you can bring them to the forefront. In the case of a silver birch, the beautiful bark is often highlighted. You might want to consider emphasizing the bark as you think about the future of this tree.

Lance

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks BH! Yes the bark on this species is stunning and always amazes me. This certain tree has rather a good contrast of silver and broken bark to work with so maybe I can give the final piece a knock your socks off look, fingers crossed... lol

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice birch Lance,good luck,all of my tries have led to the trunk or trunks dying and the tree pushing suckers,i have one white birch left that has survived well,hopefully ill get some good branching this season,but its not as nice as your find.

Top Bottom