Six year progression of a Sierra juniper

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I collected this tree in 2008 near Cisco Grove California (with a permit). Here it is shortly after collection:

newlycollectedsierra_zpsb1c88ea2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next step was a bonsai pot in 2010:

firsttimeinapot_zps275029e9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After first styling with help from Ryan Neal:

IMG_1686_zps3ec2d5e9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Let it grow free for the last two years:

beforewiringwithBjorn_zpse1a4970a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After detail wiring last week in workshop with Bjorn Bjorholm and carving of small shari. After filling out this growing season it will be show ready.

1011679_651137424952006_730209610_n_zps48c303b3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I really like the deadwood - it looks like a shark fin!

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's really nice to see the development of a sierra. I have one myself, although about 8 years behind yours. I really appreciate you sharing what can be done.

Scott

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I love progression threads...Thanks! Great looking tree! I like the pot...simple.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice, what was the large trunked thing in the background of the first pic? The trunk looked so massive it seemed like a mountain with trees growing from it. Do you still have it?

ed

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Nice, what was the large trunked thing in the background of the first pic? The trunk looked so massive it seemed like a mountain with trees growing from it. Do you still have it?

ed

No, sadly, it was one of my failures, It was another Sierra.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Paul,

How about slowly reducing the right and developing the left foliage more towards this?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1686_zps3ec2d5e9.jpg
    IMG_1686_zps3ec2d5e9.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I really love this tree. Awesome deadwood and great dynamic styling with that cascading branch. I'd love to see it in person. I'm also very impressed with how quickly the canopy developed. Great job.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Paul,

How about slowly reducing the right and developing the left foliage more towards this?

attachment.php

Just doesn't work for me Dario. Part of the interest of this tree, for me, is the flow to the right. You are correct though that it still needs a little more length on the left to balance it but I wouldnt want to change the visual direction..

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just doesn't work for me Dario. Part of the interest of this tree, for me, is the flow to the right. You are correct though that it still needs a little more length on the left to balance it but I wouldnt want to change the visual direction..

Perfect. Your taste/preference is all that matters of course.

Thank you. :)

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Love the progression and direction of this wish i can find one.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Perfect. Your taste/preference is all that matters of course.

Thank you. :)

Hi Dario.. In this case, I don't think is a matter of taste. ;) Since you always say you want things straight forward, I can offer you this explanation. It would not make sense to have a lot of deadwood on one side, but have that side be the strongest side. The foliage would not be growing in the direction against the elements. Everything needs to flow in the same direction. At least that is the case with this tree.

Rob

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Update

This tree grows like a weed. Did some fine tuning yesterday in a workshop with Peter Tea.

Attachments

• 7-01-2014 007.jpg
    7-01-2014 007.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 106

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have a question from the point of personal ignorance: Is it, or is it not possible, to form foliage pads like those seen in the Shimpaku Juniper? What is the thinking on this?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love this tree. From how it looked to start with until now is such a huge difference. This is a perfect example of great workmanship cooperating with the tree's natural growth. Outstanding!

Rob

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I have a question from the point of personal ignorance: Is it, or is it not possible, to form foliage pads like those seen in the Shimpaku Juniper? What is the thinking on this?

They rarely get as dense as Kishu shimpaku, more delicate like itoigawa. And this sub-species is more blue in color. There are some exceptional examples though. I've got a photo on my work computer I'll put up for you tomorrow.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Not going to happen unless you or Dario buy the tree. :)

Hi Paul, would you mind sharing your thoughts on the flow/direction you've chosen over say Dario's suggestion? I'd love to hear your reasoning...I'm still learning and hope you don't mind me asking ;)

Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Paul, would you mind sharing your thoughts on the flow/direction you've chosen over say Dario's suggestion? I'd love to hear your reasoning...I'm still learning and hope you don't mind me asking ;)

Chris

I know you asked Paul but if I may, I would share mine. :D

There is a very nice deadwood feature at the left and by moving the foliage in that area, I feel it diverts the focus there more. It also "frames" the deadwood. JMHO right or wrong. :)

Top Bottom