Six year progression of a Sierra juniper

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I have a question from the point of personal ignorance: Is it, or is it not possible, to form foliage pads like those seen in the Shimpaku Juniper? What is the thinking on this?

Here's one from our state convention exhibit in 2012. very compact foliage pads.

Attachments

• California Dreaming 041.jpg
    California Dreaming 041.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 57

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Paul, would you mind sharing your thoughts on the flow/direction you've chosen over say Dario's suggestion? I'd love to hear your reasoning...I'm still learning and hope you don't mind me asking ;)

Chris

It is all about the tree's story. I believe a good bonsai tells the story of its life. First is the flow. This tree is moving from left to right and has been for a long time (in the story). The entire left side has been battered and killed by snow, ice, wind, and fire and the deadwood remains to protect the live part of the tree which can only grow away from the stresses that created the deadwood. If the live foliage is growing toward and around the deadwood it just makes the story confusing and unrealistic.
Second is the contrast. The main reason I love collected junipers is the stark contrast between dead wood and live tree. This tells the story of struggle and survival. Dario's idea diminishes this drama.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tells the story of struggle and survival. Dario's idea diminishes this drama.

Paul, I like and respect your view. :)

I just see things a bit differently. Like the Phoenix, most battered trees rise from the ashes. Most juniper bonsai we see are like that...mix of death and life. Over the decades or centuries...they get hit from all around...not just one side (believe it or not). :)

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score

I just see things a bit differently. Like the Phoenix, most battered trees rise from the ashes. Most juniper bonsai we see are like that...mix of death and life. Over the decades or centuries...they get hit from all around...not just one side (believe it or not). :)

Not all get hit evenly from all sides. To paraphrase the old Rod Stewart song: "Every bonsai tells a story, Baby!".

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Post #21 reminds me of the Divi Divi trees in Aruba.

Grimmy

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
[ARTICLES][/ARTICLES]

;) No offense, but your virt hurts my eyes..lol. I see a tree's trunk growing completely to the right and foliage to the left. Of course, you are certainly entitled to what you think. Also, you might not care what others think. However, if you ever showed the tree with that vision, it would be considered unbalanced and incongruent from a bonsai standpoint. It might mean the difference between placing and not placing. Of course, as mentioned, these are from bonsai aesthetics and nature view points.

Rob

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
[ARTICLES][/ARTICLES]

;) No offense, but your virt hurts my eyes..lol. I see a tree's trunk growing completely to the right and foliage to the left. Of course, you are certainly entitled to what you think. Also, you might not care what others think. However, if you ever showed the tree with that vision, it would be considered unbalanced and incongruent from a bonsai standpoint. It might mean the difference between placing and not placing. Of course, as mentioned, these are from bonsai aesthetics and nature view points.

Rob

None taken. ;)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
[ARTICLES][/ARTICLES]

Rob

In addition, I'm paraphrasing what I think I remember Ryan Neil saying at a workshop I attended, but what makes a juniper is the deadwood - it's not the foliage. The foliage just frames the overall image. I think it's clear that moving the foliage to the left really ruins the focus on the deadwood.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In addition, I'm paraphrasing what I think I remember Ryan Neil saying at a workshop I attended, but what makes a juniper is the deadwood - it's not the foliage. The foliage just frames the overall image. I think it's clear that moving the foliage to the left really ruins the focus on the deadwood.

...which I think is the opposite. BUT that is only MHO.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not an expert on these things, but your eye just stops with the foliage on the left. There's nowhere for it to wander. Plus, the white space is much better when the foliage moves to the right. I think growing the foliage out to the left makes sense, but I would still keep the lengthier branch on the right.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thank You Paul, that does make sense. Much appreciated.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW, This is what I am trying to do. A frame is around what it is framing...not outside or just in one side. ;)

Okay I am done and out of here. Sorry if I disturbed this thread. Bye! :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
BTW, This is what I am trying to do. A frame is around what it is framing...not outside or just in one side. ;)

I don't know why you should abandon this thread?

As to the tree. Every virtual I have seen so far does not float my boat. Personally I think less is more and here follows in part what I think should be a direction for this tree.

f2qHNtK.jpg

It is my opinion that foliage pads should be developed and the main portion of the growing portion of the tree should be brought in closer to the trunk. This makes sense to me, everything else seems insipid. From this view it may even be possible to have a branch go over to the left and play peek-a-boo from behind the trunk. I can't get my photo shop to do what I want it to do.

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I think by "framing", one doesn't necessarily mean putting a box around the trunk like a picture frame would.

If you take a step back and look at your virt, your eye starts at the deadwood goes up the trunk, then sharply comes back and down, almost in a full circle. I'm not sure that from an artistic aesthetic standpoint that you want your eye to take that movement. On top of that, it does tell a contradictory story as the tree was beaten up on the left, yet most of its growth is on that side.

Vance's virt works, though I think I prefer more foliage on both sides. The key with both versions is that the right side is heavier with foliage than the left.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Vance. I see your point but I think I need some foliage on the left for two reasons. 1. It moves the visual center of gravity back over the pot. 2. It disguises the long, skinny neck at the top of the trunk. I think with all the foliage on the right the tree would look like a drunk swan about to take a faceplant.
I appreciate everyone's input. Its why I post my trees and these types of discussions are what I like best about this forum.
Paul

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think the easiest explanation works best here. The tree is a slant style with cascade characteristics. If you have a successful cascade with movement to the right. You have most of the foliage to the right and a little foliage on the left for balance. A cascade style tree growing over a cliff cascades down over the cliff, not the opposite way.

I think this tree is a masterpiece.:D

Rob

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree Paul! I've really enjoyed the progression on this one, and I think it's turning out awesome. The discussion on different options, and the reasons you've chosen this direction is incredibly valuable to many on this forum.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance. I see your point but I think I need some foliage on the left for two reasons. 1. It moves the visual center of gravity back over the pot. 2. It disguises the long, skinny neck at the top of the trunk. I think with all the foliage on the right the tree would look like a drunk swan about to take a faceplant.
I appreciate everyone's input. Its why I post my trees and these types of discussions are what I like best about this forum.
Paul

That's why I mentioned the peek-a-boo left branch, it kind of creates the suggestion of a triangle without being so heavy as to create a conflicted element.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The only thing I would change is moving the tree to the bench in my yard.;)

Rob

Top Bottom