Slanting tree's

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was just browsing and looking into the shakan style cus i aint got a tree going that direction yet so went and google pics of slanting tree's for inspiration and happend to notice that you dont see them passing by allot on bnut i realy do like the style tough

now i wonder what makes a good slanting tree look believable and what are absolutely things you must not do?

My guess its all about balance and also the roots must give the impression they are helping out a great deal making sure the tree doesnt fall over as well as at least one branch growing the opposite direction of the slant to give some counter weight.... then i wonder would that branch be coming from the middle or higher up the tree?

Anyone willing or able to share their experience's or just explain some stuff about this style please do !

Feel free to post pics of your slanting tree's or a pic of a tree wich you think that looks like a good slanting tree
The idea is to discuss the good and bad things about them to learn some thing about his style together!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ill kick off
slantscots.jpg

Tree from a pic from bonsaibark
Scotts pine

I like the base allot believable roots allong with the planted slanting angle

But he cascading branch growing down on the right side looks a bit to heavy IMO

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Too slanted, I think? :p
View attachment 160029
Saw this one today at a company picnic, at a park...Walnut I think...

But seriously, really like slanting style trees too, I don't think I have any slanters of my own right now...
Cool thread idea!

Too slanted forms a raft lol
Nice pic ! We Got a tree in a park here that did the same thing also over the water i do have a pic somewere

ralf

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Common sense. If I leave out the situation where the tree is growing on the slope and its inclination is affected by the factors beyond its control the reason for slanting is in most cases a simple "hunt " for light. For this reason more foliage can be found on the side facing more light. In bonsai quite a few people are talking about balance etc. and they put more foliage on the opposite side. The trees in the nature do not care about balance. They care about photosyntesis. They try to fix the position by roots as you rightly noticed. Sometimes it is not enough and the tree falls. But that is the Nature...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Common sense. If I leave out the situation where the tree is growing on the slope and its inclination is affected by the factors beyond its control the reason for slanting is in most cases a simple "hunt " for light. For this reason more foliage can be found on the side facing more light. In bonsai quite a few people are talking about balance etc. and they put more foliage on the opposite side. The trees in the nature do not care about balance. They care about photosyntesis. They try to fix the position by roots as you rightly noticed. Sometimes it is not enough and the tree falls. But that is the Nature...

Ah i understand good info point,
so more foliage on the slanting side if its hunting for light helps create a good slanting tree

Then my nind started spinning and tought about
What about tree's that are pushed over by another falling tree or any other thing that could happen to make a tree go slanting? Could be a situation that the foliage mass is on the wrong side

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes that does look well balanced !
The longer branch growing the not sunny direction makes it apear less likely to not fall over

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This blue spruce i want to go slanting style

More foliage to the slanting side check!
Now it needs allot of growth and probably the lowest branch has to go too but for now getting backbudding and good growth will be the main concern next year

20170912_194839.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think for a convincing slanting tree image the main aspects are a strong anchoring root opposite side of the lean, even trees that have fell over or leaning in nature tend to have this root on the opposite side, keeping the tree stable.. and a balanced foliage mass helps also, but i dont think thats essential. a windswept tree is a variation of a slanting tree and may only have foliage on one side...

My own take on it
IMG_1088 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_5425 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Harboro frost by James Mills, on Flickr

Zelkova carpinfolia by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

2017-04-09_10-23-25 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

The Scots pine is nice, it looks like a tree leaning over a river bank. i think thats the type of image you want to portray, i think ive done that with the Beech and Hawthorn

slanting hawthorn
IMG_9885 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9882 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_8435 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Last edited:

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
slanting style is almost a tool one might use in the case of a raw material that might be straight, or uninteresting, what have you, below the first branch, you can either cut to the first branch, plant on slant, it will make the stock more interesting, and of course, shorter. just another tool in the bag is my 2 cents. the above specimen, however, have utilized it in a very pleasing, satisfying way. I find collected stock that are naturally already in the style, or in such a way that the decision is easy to pursue the style.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@BobbyLane & @Waltron
Thnx for sharing !

Waltron what you describe is my exact same tought with the spruce i posted its straight and has most of the roots on the side oposite to the lean this way i wont be regrowing another trunk

I wonder from what angle could a tree be concidered slanting?

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would advise to just make the tree look the best you can, dont worry about angle measurements and "being considered as", just focus on making the tree look pleasing to your eye, then decide if its good or bad at some point before the next re-pot.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would advise to just make the tree look the best you can, dont worry about angle measurements and "being considered as", just focus on making the tree look pleasing to your eye, then decide if its good or bad at some point before the next re-pot.

Yes thnx i will! but i mean in general not just my spruce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I ususally think of roots that hold the tree up makes an amazing slant. But...then there is...my backyard...and it makes me happy. If "I" see it as a good direction...then so be it.

Now, my creeper has one sided roots and is a slant. It has hideous roots...but for a slant...can pull it off to a degree.
image.jpg

image.jpg

And my untraditional weeping Ryusen maple...also has substantial roots holding it from looking like it will topple over.
image.jpg

Top Bottom