Sleepy Hollow-English Elm

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ulmus Procera/Minor

This is another new project im working on with native species. this is styled in a fairy tale image, or even just an ancient wood land tree with a creepy twist. it doesnt confine to any rules, it doesnt even know if its an informal upright or multi trunk, each way its turned reveals another form. some of the branches are extremely angular while some have twirly twists. the natural bends have been accentuated with wire on most branches.
Of course, its in early stages of development, but minimal wiring will be used on this one, just pruning for direction after these branch bars are set.
Hope you like it..The hollow in the base is completely natural, but ive had to carve a little inverse taper out of the double apex and also have began hollowing out the heavy trunk to the left. its obscured from this angle...

df0e9660-5725-4de7-ad2d-c191856c513a.jpg

08172d89-e988-4abf-8fc4-b97aad530a12.jpg

d9c9718e-19bb-48f7-a9b6-b1b21bfffbba.jpg

Some more images can be seen of this tree here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138823275@N03/albums/72157665442375766/with/25240892920/

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Y the top?

Usually, you take that, "one more go",
I hope this one gets it! Whack!

Dope base!

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Source, you mean the long branch at the top of the left apex, yes i agree it needs some movement or chopped back to a lower bud for movement. in fact the whole apex still needs a little more work done, need to see how it all recovers, will update soon.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, and I'm sorry, I did just jump right to the pictures! I didn't read it.....or look at the Flickr.

But now I did!

Now that you say it.....
That part would make a nice mini raft.
aviary-image-1457261891738.jpeg

But I was thinking......aviary-image-1457261914367.jpeg

The top is as funky as the base is nice!

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Source, i think there's a few options ill have to give some thought, but i see this as a slender, tall informal upright tree, while carving some inverse out the top i overcut the bark on the left apex as the carving tool slipped and have to wait n see how it recovers, but i think the left apex could go, maybe that was a sign, but removing it will mean opening up the top and creating another hollow somewhat, but the taper would be better.

this english elm i saw online was one of my first ideas for this material before going with the sleepy hollow look
2012-43-ndash-height-47-cm-ndash-English-Elm-Ulmus-procera-ndash-styled-by-Louis-Nel-ndash-informal-upright-style-Stellenbosch-Botanical-Gardens.jpg

but edging towards a tall informal image of a real elm tree rather than the stumps we see so much of
East_Coker_elm,_2.jpg

but with a creepy twist:)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi all,

Made some adjustments to this tree..

I decided to go with the right apex, as i'd already over cut the left one...think it turned out ok
ive sealed all the cut areas and the branches around the apex should provide some good callusing this season, the hollow in the top is a little shiny atm because of some wood staining. needs time to weather in..
IMG_9466 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9473 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9484 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9486 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

if you look close enough you may see the faces of lost souls..
IMG_9487 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

IMG_9490 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

some Uro in the base
IMG_9499 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9501 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9500 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

IMG_9507 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

can see all images here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138823275@N03/sets/72157665442375766

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yeah!

That's money!

Nice base work!

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi folks, some recent images of this one, just need to build up the ramification over time, happy enough with the progress so far...over the summer i pretty much re grew all the branches in the crown and replaced them with finer, better ramified branching and the lower branches got stronger, its all resulted in a better balance tree with vigour througout.this type of pruning will continue next season and so on..

IMG_2447 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2946 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2016-11-24_03-53-21 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Last edited:

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the idea of doing a somewhat abstract and sinister deciduous tree image. This one looks very impressive and interesting. I love how the angular turns in the branches accentuate the tortured trunk base.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone, 2-3 seasons should really see this one fill out. ill continue to use clip n grow and directional pruning to keep the angular theme of the branching throughout the tree, im trying to use minimal wire on it.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very cool tree. Nice work you're doing to make that Sleepy Hollow happen.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Bobby, I thought you used a Makita for carving, not an axe :)

Top Bottom