Sleepy Hollow-English Elm

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is your photo....cropped and altered just to illustrate my area of interest. I pointed to my area of high interest coming up in Spring. Carving. You have several carvings that are naturally beautiful. I like the high level of detailed carving you have on this tree. It has a fabulous natural appearance. Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing the tree images....I’m learned more from your work....you set the bar very high.

Just to be clear, Bobby did all the carving.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lol.
Well of course, but not on a public forum where Bobby can see.

Outside of that, heck yeah it was me! I’m awesome.
Do you plan on carrying out the ground growing, or do you have other plans for this tree? I wonder at the training pot that is deeper than wide. I would think that shallower and wider would give the roots more room to spread and widen that base out. Cool tree.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you plan on carrying out the ground growing, or do you have other plans for this tree? I wonder at the training pot that is deeper than wide. I would think that shallower and wider would give the roots more room to spread and widen that base out. Cool tree.

we are on the same wave length, this is something i actually discussed with Conar at the time. i think thats a good call Conar, the tree could probably go into a container half the depth but wider, i'd stick with a round container too.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
we are on the same wave length, this is something i actually discussed with Conar at the time. i think thats a good call Conar, the tree could probably go into a container half the depth but wider, i'd stick with a round container too.

Yes I remember :). Although I’m not sure I’ve anything to fit the dimensions so I may put in next size up same pot but stick a board or something under it, to get that flatter shallower effect.. would that work how I’m thinking?

I don’t like the idea of ground growing it at this stage but I need to spend more time with the tree and especially once leaves drop, to study a bit :). Then I can know more about its future.
I’d definitely like to make good use of those nasal roots and flare.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
just as well, you can pick up surplus tubs like these from any garden centre or tree nursery and cut in half, depending on the depth you want, simples
2018-09-04_05-53-11 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Funny, I never thought of cutting them in half lol! Always just think “too deep”.
Something so simple lol!

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
My black gum pre-bonsai has an interesting growth pattern that reminded me of the sleepy hollow tree, so I googled it and saw this post! I was almost going to bend my tree so I could follow traditional bonsai rules, but I'm going to keep it the way it is. Where the branches continue out pointed in the same direction as the part of the trunk they're attached to instead of always horizontal/parallel to the other side of the tree.

Really great looking tree and It's cool to see art done that doesn't follow traditional styles and rules.

Top Bottom