Slip pot a Japanese White Pine

Tropicals

Seedling
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions on slip potting a fairly large white pine 2.5' out of a standard pot into a much larger outdoor patio planter. Disturb rootage somewhat?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

(1) Where do you live?
(2) Generally speaking, it is the wrong time of year for root work on pines. You don't want to be messing with roots as we go into the summer... unless you live in Australia, in which case it is the perfect time :)

Tell us a little more about the work - are you just trying to grow it out as a pre-bonsai? Or are you looking to move it into the planter as more like a decorative landscape plant (like something you'd see in a Japanese garden) :)

Tropicals

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

(1) Where do you live?
(2) Generally speaking, it is the wrong time of year for root work on pines. You don't want to be messing with roots as we go into the summer... unless you live in Australia, in which case it is the perfect time :)

Tell us a little more about the work - are you just trying to grow it out as a pre-bonsai? Or are you looking to move it into the planter as more like a decorative landscape plant (like something you'd see in a Japanese garden) :)
Thanks for response BN. Locarion is near Phila.PA. It is a developed tree and setting up in a landscaping planter..remaining outside year round. I know I don't want to disturb rootage but do you think there is enough time to establish a deeper stronger rootage before nasty weather?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The problem the slip-potting anything is that it often creates as many problems as it solves. When you slip-pot, you leave a core of soil behind that is probably old and compacted. The fine roots in the core are weak. It doesn't drain well. Then you encase all of that in free-flowing, good quality outer soil. It's like making a doughnut of death - where the doughnut hole is a lurking problem. Sure, the roots might extend into the new soil, and the tree might initially show a flush of new growth. But unless you are diligent about clearing out the core... it is a time-bomb waiting to kill your tree.

It is a tough question to answer. If it is an expensive tree, I wouldn't risk it. I would wait for the right season, do the proper root work, and then move it. Six months isn't going to matter one way or the other. But if you have to do it right now (for one reason or the other) I would not disturb the roots much, if at all. Japanese white pine should be about done with its seasonal push of growth right now, and it is switching from energy expenditure/growth mode to energy absorption/rest mode. I wouldn't expect much root growth, if any.

Tropicals

Seedling
Reaction score
The problem the slip-potting anything is that it often creates as many problems as it solves. When you slip-pot, you leave a core of soil behind that is probably old and compacted. The fine roots in the core are weak. It doesn't drain well. Then you encase all of that in free-flowing, good quality outer soil. It's like making a doughnut of death - where the doughnut hole is a lurking problem. Sure, the roots might extend into the new soil, and the tree might initially show a flush of new growth. But unless you are diligent about clearing out the core... it is a time-bomb waiting to kill your tree.

It is a tough question to answer. If it is an expensive tree, I wouldn't risk it. I would wait for the right season, do the proper root work, and then move it. Six months isn't going to matter one way or the other. But if you have to do it right now (for one reason or the other) I would not disturb the roots much, if at all. Japanese white pine should be about done with its seasonal push of growth right now, and it is switching from energy expenditure/growth mode to energy absorption/rest mode. I wouldn't expect much root growth, if any.

Tropicals

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm glad I checked with someone who knows. I won't risk it now with that tree. Do you think an established pre-bonsai tree in a deeper grow pot has a better chance?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm glad I checked with someone who knows. I won't risk it now with that tree. Do you think an established pre-bonsai tree in a deeper grow pot has a better chance?

Are you saying "better chance of surviving an outdoor winter in Philly"? Japanese White Pines are pretty cold hardy trees. As long as you allow the tree to go into winter dormancy slowly, and come out of winter dormancy slowly, you should be good to go. If you have it in a planter, the extra soil will buffer the temperature change... but you can get the same effect if you were to take your tree, and as soon as the nights get into the high 20's, you were to put it in a cold frame and mulch it all around the pot with pine mulch.

It isn't the cold that will kill a white pine. It's quick swings in temperature in the early or late season. You want to avoid 10 degree nights in October, or 70 degree days in January :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What BonsaiNut is saying about “slip potting” is true. A real “slip pot”, is strictly moving a tree from one pot to another without any root work, not introduction of new soil. It’s used to move a tree from an inexpensive “everyday” pot into an expensive show pot of the exact same size and shape.

Moving from a small pot to a larger pots with no root work isn’t “slip potting”. It’s “up potting”. Not recommended for bonsai.

Tropicals

Seedling
Reaction score
What BonsaiNut is saying about “slip potting” is true. A real “slip pot”, is strictly moving a tree from one pot to another without any root work, not introduction of new soil. It’s used to move a tree from an inexpensive “everyday” pot into an expensive show pot of the exact same size and shape.

Moving from a small pot to a larger pots with no root work isn’t “slip potting”. It’s “up potting”. Not recommended for bonsai.
Ok thanks

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless I am missing something here, Tropicals is not talking about a bonsai but is referring to a specimen plant. I have several such plants including several conifers, maples, ginkgos and so forth. In fact, I have a Japanese White Pine that has been in the same wood box for 30 years. I pull it out and refresh the soil every 5 years or so and it has done very well in zone 6. I up pot plants in my collection every year and though I prefer to do it in the spring, I have done it every time of the year except deep winter. Now I am not seeing your tree and the condition of the root system (pot bound etc), and I have no idea what size or kind of pot you are planning to put it in, but nine times out of ten it is a go ahead for me. I never lose any of my specimen plants in pots though occasionally I have a little maple dieback when we have a late spring freeze. This has only been a concern about every 5 or 6 years.
Now I am not all that brilliant but I have practiced, studied, and consulted on horticultural practices for over 50 years. I have killed several bonsai in this time and many seedlings, but unless there is some extreme circumstance, the specimen plants always do well and thank me for the re-pot.
Tropicals, if you are talking bonsai, forget everything I have said except this single sentence. If you are talking about the repot of a specimen plant, send my some pictures of the root system (I assume its in a nursery pot), and the pot you want to up pot into. In many cases you are better off to do the re-potting before the weather gets cold so that new roots fill the new pot.

Top Bottom