Slow and Easy

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to see success in helping tree survival. If potting were custom made could be growing upward from side of cliff? However still feel is natural Cascade considering base and rootage apparent.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Frank,
Although it doesn’t really come out well, I did try to initiate some Back budding and I removed initial wiring of main branches this spring and have been feeding it well. Interesting observation; as the tree has gained health and strength, bark has been falling off this spring exposing an unseen damage along the lower trunk, which will blend with the upper Shari.....continuing the story of its struggle. I’ll have to experiment with some more upright positions. Just not sure as the base has such a strange hook in it?
View attachment 310371
Yes that is the conundrum with the cork bark characteristics of those west coast shore pines. As soon as they get healthy the lovely thick bark begins to shed! For your tree I suspect the directional roots are what requires the most consideration for planting angle, not so much the hook at the base. Now that the tree has gained considerable health and the roots have stabilized over the last four years it might be possible to work on repositioning, shortening directional root to free up new planting angles! I have seen some neat work done with bending roots to compact and change direction! The other option is the one I took with my sub alpine fir! Over stages I shortened the major directional roots ( AKA old side anchor) . This was possible over a few years as new feeder roots emerged from areas closer to the base.
One final option would be to root graft on some shore pine seedlings to the under side of the hook portion creating a stable base! This reduces the long directional root that I suspect is the real problem based on the grow box shape and tree position. I think in the end this might be your best bet. Does not risk the tree or existing footage to give it a try! Lots of little shore pine seedlings in the duff surrounding these collected trees, would be simple to collect some. I would protect the tree for the first winter after grafting! The approach root grafts could be done next March or April.
A planning session checking the root progress this fall could explore new planting angles and adjust the root positioning as well!
Sometimes gaining a bit here and a bit there makes a big difference in the end.
I do like the examples Michael Hagedorn and others have created with pots shaped to accommodate awkward root forms. That may be an option, although likely an expensive option!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another somewhat pleasing angle (potential front). The bark is very flaky at its base (much older), different texture in the middle.
Cheers
G.

Attachments

• 7E9DAD23-34E0-42D6-A1A9-D26849CEE4AC.jpeg
    7E9DAD23-34E0-42D6-A1A9-D26849CEE4AC.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 8B392E1E-02BE-4242-B7B5-7B985085255B.jpeg
    8B392E1E-02BE-4242-B7B5-7B985085255B.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 43
  • A1540C67-EF2D-4AE0-A003-8E20E58F1C35.jpeg
    A1540C67-EF2D-4AE0-A003-8E20E58F1C35.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 37

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another somewhat pleasing angle (potential front). The bark is very flaky at its base (much older), different texture in the middle.
Cheers
G.
Load it up and bring it down we can explore every angle and take photos for reference! Just need to strap it on the board and play with the wedges!

Attachments

• IMG_1236.jpeg
    IMG_1236.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1233.jpeg
    IMG_1233.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1230.jpeg
    IMG_1230.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1229.jpeg
    IMG_1229.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 19

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Very intersting & inspiring yamadori.. you could call it "zig zag" (because it goes one side, and then another side) ^^

I would just elevate it a little to avoid the horizontal portion of the trunk. And with a shell slab and little plants on the soil
zig zag01.jpg

ps : if you can developp some foliage to cut the line of the trunk (to avoid monotony of this long part of the trunk), i think it would be better ->
zig zag02.jpg

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very intersting & inspiring yamadori.. you could call it "zig zag" (because it goes one side, and then another side) ^^

I would just elevate it a little to avoid the horizontal portion of the trunk. And with a shell slab and little plants on the soil
View attachment 317737

ps : if you can developp some foliage to cut the line of the trunk (to avoid monotony of this long part of the trunk), i think it would be better ->
View attachment 317738
Nice approach, another thought would be a grafted branch to the rear to break the line and add some depth without breaking the trunk line visually.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

View attachment 317737

View attachment 317738
Thank you very much for the work you did, interesting indeed and something I’ll be sure to consider.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think I would rotate the top to the left and make it more vertical. Just my thoughts
lots of options to explore, will continue to focus on health first, to me it has such unique characteristics and looks great from many angles.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice pine and good to see it building strength and healthy.
Definitely worth taking your time with and old tree like this.
I love the orientation you have it and the verts done by Clem

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Fall update on this one. Removed all structural wire, trimmed (not pulled) off needles and raised it with the additional bamboo stake.
View attachment 338923
my only problem with this tree is the pot. It looks like a cake hollowed out to put the tree into it. This tree deserves a very nice drum pot, or a rock pot.

Top Bottom