Small 6x6 greenhouse

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nothing wrong with far out there..let's hear this theory.
This theory applies to me I my climate at least. I live in the high desert where humidity is very low nearly all summer except on the occasional rainy day. Also we have very high U.V. intensity making it difficult to put non natives into a full sun spot. My tropicals grow in summer, but seem more in a heat dormancy most of the time. Around now when I stow the tropicals away in the greenhouse, the heat levels have dropped as has the U.V. intensity.
Now for my greenhouse conditions.
Temperture regularly stay between 65-90°f which is very similar to their natural range. Also the humidity in m greenhouse is consistently between 80-100% relative humidity at all times, which is also very much like their native climate.

Now this is where it gets FAR OUT THERE.
In summer our day is about 16 hours long. In the tropics the sun is out about 12.5 hour per day everyday, forever! As it just so happens, that's about how long the days are in winter (maybe sightly less then 12).
Tropicals also go through a dry season and wet season in nature. The difference in moisture between outside and inside my greenhouse is immensely different.
So in summer we are hot, dry, and the sun torches everything, in winter my conditions for the tropics is so nearly the same as their natural climate that It only makes sense to me that they will grow faster.

Maybe I'm on to something, or I truly am a NUT!:rolleyes:
What's your thought on my theory?

Aaron

Wiccid

Seedling
Reaction score
That sounds like a very well thought out rational theory. I'm new to bonsai myself, I live in zone 7 in maryland. I have about 15 plants, 2 ficus, a Chinese elm, crape myrtle, riverflat Hawthorne 2 bougainvillea, a clump planting maple and a single maple root over rock, tea tree, a little jamie group planting, a holly, 2 juniper, mostly small sized plants. I'm looking into how to get them thru the winter. I have a small back yard and a shed with a tiny window for the elm and maples but I'm thinking about making a cold frame or greenhouse type set up. Have you seen anything that's not too expensive or have you any advice to help me keep these guys alive thru winter.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That sounds like a very well thought out rational theory. I'm new to bonsai myself, I live in zone 7 in maryland. I have about 15 plants, 2 ficus, a Chinese elm, crape myrtle, riverflat Hawthorne 2 bougainvillea, a clump planting maple and a single maple root over rock, tea tree, a little jamie group planting, a holly, 2 juniper, mostly small sized plants. I'm looking into how to get them thru the winter. I have a small back yard and a shed with a tiny window for the elm and maples but I'm thinking about making a cold frame or greenhouse type set up. Have you seen anything that's not too expensive or have you any advice to help me keep these guys alive thru winter.
I'm also in zone 7 and I built a cold house for my trees. The species you have other then the ficus can stand cold very well. My structure is more for wind then heat, I only worry when it dips below 20°f in there but I've never lost a tree to winter. I built a 12×12×10 ft for about 1000 bucks, but I have more trees then I care to count so your structure wouldn't nee to be so big.
Another route since you don't have an extensive collection is to find a shaded par of your yard and put the trees on the ground and mulcvthem up to their first branches, this is sufficient to protect the root system.
The ficus can be brought indoors under artificial light, or a very bright window that gets southern exposure. Only be a greenhouse if you decide you really like tropicals like me, don't build one for the temperate trees as they get to warm in winter. The shed should do well for your outdoor trees.

Aaron

Last edited:

JohnnyFive

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Judy.
I have the sun all mapped out during the peak of summer. The back row towards the fence gets 4 to 6 hours of sun. Lower stands gets less. 3 or 4 direct sun then partial shade. Top row clear to the right will get up to 8 hours of sun. Top row all the way to the left gets 4 hours.
I have 3 other stands and one I call the kill zone. Need to make a shade canopy next summer. 11 hours full sun and wind.
Greenhouse is up. Need to clean up put stands and shelves in. Tighten all bolts. Silicone everywhere and a bunch of other stuff.
View attachment 117890
If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase the Window Vents? and how much were they? I've been looking for some like that but can't find anything that has a decent price. Is this the Harbor Freight Kit? looking good btw!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would guess humidity levels being higher in an enclosed greenhouse would spur growth on tropicals in your dry climate.

Oops, I missed a whole page of content when I replied... I see that you have the same take on it basically...

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase the Window Vents? and how much were they? I've been looking for some like that but can't find anything that has a decent price. Is this the Harbor Freight Kit? looking good btw!
Window vent was from ebay and also bought the greenhouse from there also. The window vent is a must. Also bought a case of clear caulking and caulked everything. This made a big difference. Running cables up and over to help secure it down helped a lot. Mine is mainly for the winter and after I caulked all over the place it trapped the heat in real well. Without the caulk the temp was similar to the outside air.
Vent was $92.83 free shipping but worth it.

JohnnyFive

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Window vent was from ebay and also bought the greenhouse from there also. The window vent is a must. Also bought a case of clear caulking and caulked everything. This made a big difference. Running cables up and over to help secure it down helped a lot. Mine is mainly for the winter and after I caulked all over the place it trapped the heat in real well. Without the caulk the temp was similar to the outside air.
Vent was $92.83 free shipping but worth it.
Ya, my is the ol Harbor Freight Special, after one winter I know what you mean. went through about 8 tubes sealing it all up. I built a window in mine and mounted an exhaust fan (box fan) that does the trick. I was looking at making an intake vent and thought that would work well. I'll probably just custom make another window like I did for the exhaust. Really slick set up you got

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well done, sometimes I wonder what we can do for our trees.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice project...did you get your shed from Harbor Freight?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great setup, very nice work plus the trees aren't bad either. Good job!

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great setup, very nice work plus the trees aren't bad either. Good job!
Thanks. Its was some work at the time but its great having it now. The trees are in need of a lot of work. Raintrees will get worked on this winter and the rest in the spring.
I have a nice upright ac unit I plan to try out next summer during the hottest part of the year. I have a white pine, larch, sweetgum and a couple Japanese maples that I want to keep from baking. May or may not help. Always trying and learning something new.

Top Bottom