Small 6x6 greenhouse

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been getting ready to put up a small greenhouse. Mainly to hold my tropicals this winter but also will be nice to be able to control shade a little more. Plus more space for more bonsai"s :)
I thought it would be cooling down by now here in Texas but its still pushing 100 degrees.
Here is the start.
20160915_113336.jpg
Tore down the shed.
20160916_170301.jpg
Built the platform to sit on. Will have vents on the floor to let the ground heat in.
20160917_191051.jpg
New fence and painted the platform. Will have black rubber interlocking floor on it for the winter and will be a white floor for the summer.
20160919_181830.jpg
New shed to keep a lot of the bonsai stuff in.
20160916_170801.jpg
And I'm officially tired of working in this heat. Need to reinforce the fence gate. Stain the fence and then put up the greenhouse and stands inside. So far so good. Didn't think it was going to be so hot this time of year. I guess it is Dallas. Will keep the greenhouse at 50-60 degrees this winter. Will be so nice not to have to move trees inside.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So true. Demo removal sucks but love that clean space :)

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a big fan of wintering houses...
Yeah me to. I cant live without mine :p Gives me at least 2 months of extra growth every year...

I like the look of your house. Its between two high buildings. What's the path of the sun in relation to the buildings?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Judy.
I have the sun all mapped out during the peak of summer. The back row towards the fence gets 4 to 6 hours of sun. Lower stands gets less. 3 or 4 direct sun then partial shade. Top row clear to the right will get up to 8 hours of sun. Top row all the way to the left gets 4 hours.
I have 3 other stands and one I call the kill zone. Need to make a shade canopy next summer. 11 hours full sun and wind.
Greenhouse is up. Need to clean up put stands and shelves in. Tighten all bolts. Silicone everywhere and a bunch of other stuff.
20160923_170108-1.jpg

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Are you concerned with water/moisture causing issues under your floor matting?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The whole project is nice, congrats on some nice work!

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you concerned with water/moisture causing issues under your floor matting?
Thanks j evans.
I was originally going to put pea gravel down and planks like a deck. Water could drain. The matting may not get used. Maybe drill some holes to let water drain? I'll come up with something. Thought the black mat would help keep it a little warmer but I did buy a small heater so may not need the mat. Two big vents and 1/2 inch holes drilled may do it. Ground heat will rise and water will drain. Doesn't have to be perfect and I can always change things as I figure them out.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got one table put together and one shelf. Fun stuff to do with it now. Getting it set up how I want it.
20160923_192122.jpg
20160923_192132.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can tell you that heat mats are a large part of my scheme. They allow differing zones of warmth as I have several and different thermostats for them. And you're putting the warmth right at the root zone, right where you need it...

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice, that's the same greenhouse I have, but I dont have fancy benches lol

Aaron

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't feel like making more benches.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Somebody is getting serious!! Neighbors are like, "What the heck is HE doing over there?":rolleyes::)

I think drainage could be an issue with that floor.
sawzallanimation.gif

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Somebody is getting serious!! Neighbors are like, "What the heck is HE doing over there?":rolleyes::)

I think drainage could be an issue with that floor.
View attachment 118002
Big storm rolled in last night. Put two trees that tip over in there. Plenty of water on the floor from leaks so I now have holes drilled in the floor. Water is gone. When it clears up I will remove the stands and drill more holes and maybe counter sink them. Seems to work pretty good. It was nice to have a place to put them when the storm blew in. Still raining and the raintree which would normally be closed up is all opened in the greenhouse. Would be great if it grows this winter. Inside it doesn't.
20160925_113709.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Big storm rolled in last night. Put two trees that tip over in there. Plenty of water on the floor from leaks so I now have holes drilled in the floor. Water is gone. When it clears up I will remove the stands and drill more holes and maybe counter sink them. Seems to work pretty good. It was nice to have a place to put them when the storm blew in. Still raining and the raintree which would normally be closed up is all opened in the greenhouse. Would be great if it grows this winter. Inside it doesn't.
View attachment 118051
I've actually noticed a big jump in the growth rate of many of my tropicals come winter in my greenhouse. I have a theory as to why, but it's pretty far out there lol

Aaron

Wiccid

Seedling
Reaction score
I've actually noticed a big jump in the growth rate of many of my tropicals come winter in my greenhouse. I have a theory as to why, but it's pretty far out there lol

Aaron
Nothing wrong with far out there..let's hear this theory.

Top Bottom