small beauty

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are some shots of a couple small pretty trees. Deshojo and dwarf apple. It's cold outside so nice to bring some happiness into the room... The apple is new to me, it's a true dwarf apple, not a crabapple. Looks like fun to me.
P1020706.jpgP1020707.jpgP1020710.jpgP1020711.jpgP1020718.jpgP1020720.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wowee kazowee! As if they weren't cool enough on their own, you hit them with all the artsy-fartsy photography. Well done, and well presented.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wowee kazowee! As if they weren't cool enough on their own, you hit them with all the artsy-fartsy photography. Well done, and well presented.
When I saw the shot with the lamp next to the apple, I had to try it in front. Reminds me of the moon behind a tree.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is the beginning of a new obsession with smaller trees. I have been greatly inspired by @maria kapra (Peter Macasieb) and his amazing collection. I have been turning some of my larger trees into these amazing creatures. It has been a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy these.
First is the apple in bloom, a chinese elm, pyracantha, goji berry, chojubai.

P1020817.jpgP1020842.jpgP1020843.jpgP1020844.jpgP1020845.jpgP1020846.jpg

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judy, you’ve really upped your game!

Going all in on Shohin, huh? Well, ya gotta have a killer JBP for the top of the box!

It will be fun seeing what combos you come up with!
Not ALL in, at least not yet, there are still some of my big trees that I'll never give up.

I don't know about JBP, I was thinkin JWP. JWP is just as acceptable for top, yes?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those are awesome, very much jealous. Honestly who isn’t inspired by peter/ Maria Capra? His whole collection is quite a dream, so many species and most all of them are very closed to finished. I’d be honored to own just a portion of his collection, and I’m always excited to click on his thread when there’s an update

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those are awesome, very much jealous. Honestly who isn’t inspired by peter/ Maria Capra? His whole collection is quite a dream, so many species and most all of them are very closed to finished. I’d be honored to own just a portion of his collection, and I’m always excited to click on his thread when there’s an update
Yes indeed, it has made downsizing fun. He made me realize that size really doesn't matter!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes indeed, it has made downsizing fun. He made me realize that size really doesn't matter!
Haha for sure!

Where’d you get that stunning goji by the way? It’s quite the specimen and I don’t remember seeing it before.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not ALL in, at least not yet, there are still some of my big trees that I'll never give up.

I don't know about JBP, I was thinkin JWP. JWP is just as acceptable for top, yes?
Well... it depends! (What else would you expect me to say?!? Lol!!)

Any conifer will do. To comply with the unwritten “rules”. The classic “box topper” is an informal upright JBP. Not a formal, not a cascade or semi cascade, but an informal upright.

Here’s the reasoning: as always, the “reasoning” requires a bit of loose interpretation!

The Shohin Box stand with its 3 levels represents the mountain. At the top stands a conifer. Only conifers will live on the top of the mountain. It should be a informal upright because it is bent and effected by the heavy snows and winds. Yet it sits at the TOP of the mountain so it it’s apex should sit over its roots. Cascades and semi cascades live on the sides of the mountain. How about a windswept? Well, no, that shows weakness. The wind has more dominance over the tree than it should. That Top of Box position shows dominance. Victory over the elements.

Now, why JBP? After all it is a Coastal tree! They don’t grow on mountain tops! Its because of the way they look! They have dark green straight needles. They have stout trunks with attractive bark. In a word, they look strong and masculine. Sit one on top of the Box, and it looks like a king on a throne! Put it anywhere else on the display, and it would still dominate with its presence.

The movement of the informal upright tree on the top determines which way the stand is set. The middle shelf has one side set higher than the other. The movement goes from high to low. So if the informal upright conifer has movement to the right, the highest shelf on the second level will be on the left, and the lower shelf would be on the right.

This also dictates where the “off the box” tree will be. If the stand moves left to right, then the off box tree will be on the right. The off box tree should be a very good tree since it will be by itself, and balancing the trees on the box. If the box represents the mountain, there is a valley between the box and the Off Box tree. That’s where the accent goes in between the box and off box. It usually accents the off box tree. The off box tree can be shown elevated as a semi or full cascade, or at the table level as a slant or perhaps another informal upright. Perhaps a literati. But it should move towards the box top conifer.

The middle row of the box should have trees with movement. And they should move towards the top conifer. Often, this is a good place to put cascades and slants. The lower shelves of the box should contain trees with less movement as the bottom of the mountain should have milder weather. This is where your broom Zelkovas go.

With all that background (and there’s a whole lot more!!!), you can see that if you do something different, everything else is affected! So if you put a white pine up top, and it’s not a really powerful one, all your other trees need to look less powerfull, too. The top position should draw your eye first, and if another tree does, then your display will feel off balanced.

We can go on for pages about this! But, I hope this gives you starting point on the nuances of Shohin display!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well... it depends! (What else would you expect me to say?!? Lol!!)

We can go on for pages about this! But, I hope this gives you starting point on the nuances of Shohin display!

Oh believe me I've been studying all the information here and every other place I can find for the past few months. Thank you for the time you put into typing this up here. I think I may have found a strong enough JWP perhaps that can be the Queen on the throne... We will see. I'm partial to JWP.

It is hard to find the right pot combo with the right movement, with the right leaf differences, with the right placement, with yada yada yada...
I see now why people have so many... plus it's totally addictive.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh believe me I've been studying all the information here and every other place I can find for the past few months. Thank you for the time you put into typing this up here. I think I may have found a strong enough JWP perhaps that can be the Queen on the throne... We will see. I'm partial to JWP.

It is hard to find the right pot combo with the right movement, with the right leaf differences, with the right placement, with yada yada yada...
I see now why people have so many... plus it's totally addictive.
And the display is supposed to be seasonal!

And all different colors of pots. All different shapes of pots. And pot colors can be bolder, more fanciful! At least one pot on the stand should be a painted pot.

Trees: at least one fruiting and/or flowering tree. No two same species. You can have a Trident and a Japanese Maple because the leaves are different. You should not have a Chinese Elm and a Zelkova because their leaves are so similar.

And THEN, you have to have little stands to fit inside the box stand! Now all the trees don’t have to sit on stands inside the box, the stands are used to make sure the heights of the trees are all different.

Oh, one more thing, all the trees should be approximately the same size, visually, if there are 4 similar sized trees, and one really small tree, it will not look right.

Do plan to show at the next National Shohin Show in Kannapolis in June 2019. The quality of the displays was excellent at the first one. I think you’ll really like the show!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do plan to show at the next National Shohin Show in Kannapolis in June 2019.
Hm, June, I might be able to make that one! I have a lot of work to do between now and then though to get these up to snuff...
Yes I find that picking pots that are fun, is half of the attraction for me.

Top Bottom