small beauty

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If anyone knows of any good shohin books that would be appreciated by me and others!
Judy, there is a whole series of books by Karosake Gunn. (Or something like that.). Each book is species specific. There’s no photos, but there are exquisite detailed drawings illustrating the techniques. It’s all in Japanese, but doesn’t really matter. There’s not much verbiage, mostly illustrations. And you can figure out the dates he says to do stuff. And ages of the trees, etc.

I believe Stone Lantern sells them? I see them occasionally on eBay. I think you can buy them individually, or spring for the entire set.

The trees depicted are Shohin, but the principles can be used on any size tree.

Reaction score
Bought the Azalea one in Japanese right away from a Dutch website, it was the only one available. Maybe I'll get the others in French. At least that's readable :p

Good reason to learn Japanese!
Thank you again Adair.

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So beautiful, Judy!
Very inspirering to see, please keep posting :)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy, there is a whole series of books by Karosake Gunn. (Or something like that.). Each book is species specific. There’s no photos, but there are exquisite detailed drawings illustrating the techniques. It’s all in Japanese, but doesn’t really matter. There’s not much verbiage, mostly illustrations. And you can figure out the dates he says to do stuff. And ages of the trees, etc.

I believe Stone Lantern sells them? I see them occasionally on eBay. I think you can buy them individually, or spring for the entire set.

The trees depicted are Shohin, but the principles can be used on any size tree.
I have the Kyosuke Gun series. Same guy that did the picture tutorials on the older Bonsai Today mags. Each book is of a particular species. Pricey, but if you want a good book to show how to take small, undeveloped material and work it into nice shohin, I don’t think they can be beat. If you are into buying trees that are relatively developed, then they probably won’t help you much.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And just like that, I'm now addicted to Satsuki.
a little quince is making an effort too...
View attachment 215331View attachment 215332View attachment 215333View attachment 215334View attachment 215335
I was super excited when I seen you had won that Satsuki from Scott!!! Those are a species I talk myself down from...or I could have an entire bench full. Lovely Judy!!! Thanks for sharing...and is that a new quince too!?!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
THe flower, bark and leaf or your Satsuki looks identical to my Satsuki 'Kegon', really nice, And mine has had a few out of season flowers too. A fairly small flower for a Satsuki, the small flower makes it more ideal for shohin sizes.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
THe flower, bark and leaf or your Satsuki looks identical to my Satsuki 'Kegon', really nice, And mine has had a few out of season flowers too. A fairly small flower for a Satsuki, the small flower makes it more ideal for shohin sizes.
Yes Kegon is the variety, I like that it blooms out of spring. And smaller flowers are usually what I look for, but I am starting to like some of the complex color combos out there, and I never thought I would. Like Momoko.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice specimens. Is that a chojubai or some other variety of quince?

Top Bottom