Small/chopped pine bark source?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just to add another source, I found a bag of pine bark at a local nursery under the name "Soil Wizard" labeled as "Mini Pine Fines." I was told by the worker that it was the last shipment to be named mini pine fines and the new label was just going to say pine bark mulch. It comes in 2 cubic foot bags for $5.99.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks!

I am sure reviving this helps someone now. Just FYI, I since found and am using Hapi-Gro landscaper's mix from Lowe's. I can't find it in their web site now but hope they are not stopping production/sale of it.

I've also seen soil conditioner (can't recall the brand now) which is similar.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Apparently Soil Wizard is some kind of classification and the brand is Golden Trophy. I took a couple quick pics for reference. I know when I was looking for soil information it was really frustrating to have lots to read but nothing to go off of visually.

image.jpg

image.jpg

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have calloways nursarys in Austin. They have a brand of composted pine bark that is perfect. Let me know if you do and I will go get the brand for you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
We sell a 20 dry quart Fafard soil conditioner. you still have to screen it, but its sized right.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason, where do you live? I don't think it's a mattter of us not knowing what we're looking for at this point. At least for me, the issue is that Home Depot and Lowes don't carry those products here.

I was able to find some at a mulch-only "store" (basically a guy's backyard) at around the $3 price you've mentioned.

NC. both stores say they don't carry it here but when I went looking around they have whole pallets of the stuff. Seems non of them know that their generic soil conditioner is 100% aged pine bark fines.

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks!

I am sure reviving this helps someone now. Just FYI, I since found and am using Hapi-Gro landscaper's mix from Lowe's. I can't find it in their web site now but hope they are not stopping production/sale of it.

I've also seen soil conditioner (can't recall the brand now) which is similar.

Thanks Dario. This helped a lot. Was just searching for this and couldn't find it. Now I wonder how I walked past this every time I've been at Lowes.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey Dario,

Do you still use Hapi-Gro? Looks like my local Lowes carries it and I'm curious about it.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I searched Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, and a few local nurseries but cannot find any. Maybe I am just missing it though. Any major supplier sell these in bags? Store, maker, product name, etc. will help a lot. Any leads will be much appreciated.

Only Tractor Supply does not carry (soil conditioner) or Crushed Pine Bark. Locally (Athens OH) Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, and White's Mill (my local Blue Seal Feeds), all carry one or t'other.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
[REDIRECT][/REDIRECT]
I still do, try it. :)

Running up there now. I hear the consistency of it varies from store to store (some say it's peaty, others say it's mostly bark), so we'll see.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yeah no, the bag they had was listed under another name and was far too peaty and organic, very little bark.

Sigh.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use calloways brand. The label reads organic compost. It is composted pine bark. Calloways is a regional nursery chain around here. I think you should try to find something labeled as composted pine bark. I have never found at lowes or Home Depot but yours might carry it.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Petco sells a product called repti-bark, which is fir bark. It seems to be the perfect size for bonsai soil. Its not composted but you could bury it for a few months.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Petco sells a product called repti-bark, which is fir bark. It seems to be the perfect size for bonsai soil. Its not composted but you could bury it for a few months.

I've read lots of good review about this too as bonsai soil amendment. :)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
hope this may help

I run to my local hardware chain (mcClendon's) and get fine grade waupaca bark made from deciduous trees.

last year I used it to bury my wintering trees in for protection and was utterly amazed at the roots that surfaced on the top of the soil on my potted trees in the spring. With my frustration of not being able to get
akadama imported in thru seattle ports, I'm building up supplies of this bark along with volcanic rock and pummice. If I have to, I'll a third each ingrediets and use as my basic soil mix. ( we have lots of moisture here so good drainage is key for three of the four seasons)

product comes in two cubic foot bags out of wisconsin. I paid about $4.50 a bag for it

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I run to my local hardware chain (mcClendon's) and get fine grade waupaca bark made from deciduous trees.

Dick,

Doesn't deciduous tree bark break up faster? I believe breakdown time is the reason why most go after pine (evergreen) bark.... resinous bark resist breakdown longer. I may be mistaken though.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pine bark source?

I grow "other" plants and shrubs as well as my pitiful bonsai endeavors. I have found that the local lumber mill is ALWAYS more than happy to give you a load of saw dust [ideal for azalea nursery stock when composted] and bark that is too fine for them to sell. They usually only charge me like ten dollars to load it into my truck bed with their bobcat. It might be worth the effort to try one near you given the cheapness of it. Just a thought.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm working on putting this on eBay for sale. I will be selling composted pine bark on eBay. It will come in the large size USPS if it fits it ships box. 12x12x6 size box. $35. It will be the special "bonsai pine bark". I have found that a lot of people are having problems finding this. I should get this worked out within a week. I will update.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I have run across pine bark that was cut as trees and moved thru salt water for processing.
end result was dead bonsai, that sickened slowly. so go with your pine, i'll do what my experiences have taught me.

BTW

We use this product for our semi tropicals up at the weyerhaeuser collection exhibit.

just sayin' :)

Top Bottom