Small Coast Live Oak Progression

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Here it is! A new post after nearly a month. These things really do take a lot of time to put together so I'd appreciate it if you take a look. I think its a nice progression and shows great development of my tree over the past 2 years. If you enjoy it a subscription is super cool too :D

https://bontsai.com/category/small-coast-live-oak/

A sneakpeak with a new Dick Ryerson pot!! See my post for more. (yeah yeah the mounding sucks, explained in my post :) )

The plan will be to develop secondary branching this growing season and finish thickening the top apex. The leader will be cut lower next winter and I can begin to build a more rammified apex.

20170225_161430.jpg
20170225_140713.jpg

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice story on your website. Bob Pressler, Kimura Nursery, runs a first class nursery of bonsai trees, bonsai material, pots and a great deal of knowledge.

So....the tree is in a pot now. Growth in trunk thickness will stop?....Or, are you right at the trunk diameter you want for the oak?

Nice work on the tree...it's starting to bring the oak character to life in the lower trunk with a nice gnarled appearance.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Nice story on your website. Bob Pressler, Kimura Nursery, runs a first class nursery of bonsai trees, bonsai material, pots and a great deal of knowledge.

So....the tree is in a pot now. Growth in trunk thickness will stop?....Or, are you right at the trunk diameter you want for the oak?

Nice work on the tree...it's starting to bring the oak character to life in the lower trunk with a nice gnarled appearance.

Trunk thickness is pretty much at the diameter I want since this is being developed as a smaller tree. Here is the inspiration for my tree and as you can see, its pretty much the exact same size:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/2014-bib-display-planning.13774/

The pot is still slightly oversized for the tree and is comparable in size to the colander which I had excellent growth in. For a smaller tree I don't need massively thick branching so I'm confident that I will still get good development.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have not taken a look at the link yet, but I like the tree so far, and those new leaves are cool.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Trunk thickness is pretty much at the diameter I want since this is being developed as a smaller tree. Here is the inspiration for my tree and as you can see, its pretty much the exact same size:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/2014-bib-display-planning.13774/

The pot is still slightly oversized for the tree and is comparable in size to the colander which I had excellent growth in. For a smaller tree I don't need massively thick branching so I'm confident that I will still get good development.
Nice image reference. You're well on your way to achieving. I think....you might have a better looking oak really. I also think that your taper is nicely developing. Keep posting as the seasons unfold....I'm interested in your progress with the tree.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Nice image reference. You're well on your way to achieving. I think....you might have a better looking oak really. I also think that your taper is nicely developing. Keep posting as the seasons unfold....I'm interested in your progress with the tree.
I hope so. If every growing season is as good as last I should have no problem developing the tree. After bud extension I probably will cut some branches back further. After 2 more seasons the basic structure should be set. By then all I have do is work on rammification and the silhouette. Of course, only age will give the branches some nice gnarly character.

If the tree didn't bud out like it did I'd be really screwed! :eek:
The lower primary branches, although not discernible in the photo, are covered with a bunch of tiny red bumps which are buds that will become my next layer of branching.

GKen

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Just read through. Inspiring work. I look forward to having an oak one day!

Top Bottom